Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My addition is nearly complete

And it's about time! We've been under construction all summer long. My wife and I are in the process of adding 3,400 square feet to our farm house. Here are some shots of the nearly completed middle floor. It (the room) measures 28' x 40'. It is basically just an entertainment room. If you like that fireplace, there are two more just like it upstairs. One in the master bedroom and one in the library. I just can't wait to have these damn builders off my property!
    When all is said and done, there is usually a whole lot more said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by ciscokid View Post

I just can't wait to have these damn builders off my property!
    Its attitudes like that that made me decide over 10 years ago to never to undertake domestic construction again.

Wow Cisco thats certainly a big addition, looks nice!

That fireplace is gorgeous.
    I love the mantle, and that big rock at the top centre.

Will it have a combustion stove, or gas?

PS Don't be too hard on the builder. Just remember that we've got clients that we have to put up with as well.

Looking bloody good Cisco!!

Once you get rid of the builders you can send over the guitar if your sick of that too!!
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

3400 sf ADDITION? That's almost twice as big as my entire house. I guess you've got more acreage in the outback, though. Looks like a beautiful setup for entertaining. Congratulations.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

That room is bigger than our 3br house! You could run around in big circles, maybe ride scooters.

Quote Originally Posted by peter_sm View Post
    That room is bigger than our 3br house! You could run around in big circles, maybe ride scooters.
    Do you think John Deere makes a riding vacuum cleaner?

Outback??? Joe, I live in America. 45 minutes from the capital. And I've only got 45 acres.

Pawnhead - all fireplaces are wood burning. And all four mantles are 2" thick slate. Wifes idea. And yes, I really should be nicer to the contractor. He means well. And does a pretty good job if I keep my eye on him. I guess I haven't been the easiest client he's ever had.

Actually, we would be done right now but I can't get final approval because the shower glass hasn't been installed yet and the inspector wants to see it in place. It is a 1/2" thick custom frameless shower enclosure to go with the tile and marble shower and had to be measured, cut, and then sent out for tempering. Apparently, you cannot cut tempered glass. So it's looking like two more weeks just waiting for the glass people. You would think that they could work faster. Glass alone is costing me $2,800. Must be gold dust in it or something.

Outback??? Joe, I live in America. 45 minutes from the capital. And I've only got 45 acres.
    Yeah, I know. When I worked in Woodbridge (ca 1970), it was rural as. Now I think the I95 express lanes go as far as Fredericksburg. I'll be checking it next week.

Joe

Pawnhead - all fireplaces are wood burning. And all four mantles are 2" thick slate. Wifes idea. And yes, I really should be nicer to the contractor. He means well. And does a pretty good job if I keep my eye on him. I guess I haven't been the easiest client he's ever had.
    Slate!
    It looks like old rustic timber from the picture, but being a slab of slate is really impressive. I suppose the supporting brackets are solid slate as well.

Yes, they are. The only thing holding the mantles on the brackets is gravity. And, boy are they ever heavy.

Joe -
    Back in 1970, Woodbridge would have been country. Things have changed drastically around here since then. And not for the better if you ask me. I moved to the Washington metropolitan area in 1984. Flitted around the beltway area for a couple of years before heading out to Centreville. I went through Centreville recently and got lost it has changed so much. Tired of the over-crowding, my wife and I built a house in Ashburn out by Dulles airport in 1992. Nothing but cow fields and deer and stuff. My co-workers thought I was crazy to move there. "Nobody lives in Ashburn", they would say. Four years later all we could see was a sea of rooftops. Developers bought up all the farms and stuffed houses on them. Disgusting. So, in 1998, we packed up and bought a 45 acre farm right on the Rappahannock river in Culpeper county. House sits somewhere near the middle. A pair of five acre horse fields flank the 1,000 foot driveway and out back are cow fields, stocked spring fed ponds, woods, and the river itself. Finally some peace and quiet. Or is it? Already the developers, having over-built Fredericksburg, are inching their way towards us west down Route 3. While developers, having tired of building up Warrenton, are heading south down Route 29. Culpeper is becoming the next boom town and the big box stores have already staked their claim. WalMart, Lowes, and Target now sit where cows grazed four years ago. My farm is safe because we are surrounded by a 5,500 acre Federally protected wildlife preserve, but the town is losing its small town charm. Some people refer to this as progress. I call it something else.

So, in 1998, we packed up and bought a 45 acre farm right on the Rappahannock river in Culpeper county. House sits somewhere near the middle. A pair of five acre horse fields flank the 1,000 foot driveway and out back are cow fields, stocked spring fed ponds, woods, and the river itself.
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Heck, if you want to be bored by pictures....

I read you loud and clear, cisco. I thought it was crazy when they built townhouses, of all things, in the tiny country village of Manassas. Now a booming metropolis.

BTW, Dulles airport original construction was my first real job. Summer appointment with FAA. A bunch of us went to the site the day after installation of the radar antenna, before construction of the bubble housing. Rickety catwalk of 2x4's, hardly any handrail; all before OSHA then. Too bad I didn't have a camera.

Joe