Default Recommendations please - F5 Sunburst

Hi all,

Im starting the dreaded F5 Mandolin. I want to finish it like this, you will need to click on the mandolin to get the large picture.

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2927984050052672003BYYnpK

What colours are being used, lemon yellow on the base, orange for the sunburst and black for the peghead? Hard shellac on the top would give that kind of finish I would assume. Any ideas on what colours were rubbed in to lift the flame?

The binding looks like the most fun......

Sebastiaan
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

http://home.flash.net/~guitars/two_color_strat.html
    http://home.flash.net/~guitars/sunburstaerosol.html
    Heres 2 sites I have had bookmarked for a Sunburst job on a future Steel Guitar project. Hope you find them usefull , especially the 2nd one and let me know how it finishes up. I have bought an airbrush to do it but that is as far as it has got. I am after someone who can show / teach me how to airbrush so I can incorporate airbrushing in my Guitars. Anyone willing ?????
    Neil.

Hi Neil, nice looking instruments
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Default Easy does it, all the time...

Hi Neil,

I'm no expert on using an airbrush, but if you take the time to work with it, its not that difficult to master. Once you learn the air and fluid adjustments, and the proper viscosity of the paints, the rest is a matter of your artistic abilities.

Airbrushing is a great tool for doing touch ups and repairs, I strongly suggest that you learn to use it even if you only use it for doing repairs. Its a great tool to have in any shop.

Neil, spend the time to learn to use your airbrush, you will benifit from using it in the long run.

MacS

Default Airbrush - recommendations?

Thanks guys,

Neat links, Ive really been at a quandry when it comes to the spraying. Do I buy an airbrush/gun or use the spray cans? I know Stewmac sell the cans but it seems like a big waste of resources. Im not sure the finance director will come at a spraying kit.

With the dyes from Ubeaut can I put down the base layer, add the top layer and feather in with a wet brush or rag? The colours are close so there may the opportunity to do it in three or four color steps. Also Ive had to patch some tear out with wood/epoxy and wood pva mixes. I assume the water based dyes will not penetrate these?

Also, if I use EEE first can I stain over it? Reason is Im having trouble getting 1500 and 2000 grit and EEE leaves such a great finish,

Sebastiaan
    Last edited by Sebastiaan56; 24th September 2007 at 12:08 PM. Reason: add EEE question
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

Roger Siminoff's book has a good chapter on doing sunbursts with alcohol soluble dyes IIRC

Also you could google 'David Myka' who has a tute on a guitar building site.

Hope it turns out likethe picture.

A job as big as the guitar doesn't need an airbrush to do the job.

Any spraygun will work Ok but if you have to buy a gun just for the job, look out for a small touch up type gun like this one listed on ebay here.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Spray-Gu...QQcmdZViewItem

Buy at the right time and you could get it for a few dollars.

This is a gravity feed gun and is a lot easier to spray with than an air brush. Having the pot on top makes it easy to get up close to the guitar and as the paint runs down out of the gun it requires little air. Full sized ones need more air and pressure to spray properly. Any normal spray gun can do what you require by adjusting it down but a small one made to only spray small areas is a lot easier to use especially if you don't have much knowledge of their use.

If you didn't have a compressor you could run it off a spare tyre from a car pumped up at a pinch but the correct compressor and fitting would be better. If you don't think you have the need to buy all the gear you may be able to find someone who could loan you a compressor as a lot of people have one especially since the cheap ones came on the market.

Spray cans do not allow you to have any great control, a spray gun does. You could spray a door of a car with the gun shown or turn it back to a point where you could sign your name on a cheque.

Quote Originally Posted by fanlee View Post
    Hope it turns out likethe picture.
    Hi Fanlee,

So do I but the timber I have is not of that quality, nor do I have that skill level (yet). I reckon there is US$150 worth of timber there. Quilted maple is the wood... Siminoff is my bedside book. Now I have some Ubeaut dies I will try the colour scheme on some crapiata first.

Hi Durwood,

Thanks for the link. I actually went and priced a touch up spray unit the other day and recoiled at the price tag. I will keep at it with e-bay.

Sebastiaan
    Last edited by Sebastiaan56; 29th September 2007 at 05:57 AM. Reason: typo....

Default Airbrushing gun

Sebastiaan,

I have used this and other airbrushes to do sunburst, shading, and many sand and rubbed through repairs.

There maybe others ways of doing it, I can do it this way, because I have done it.

Don't make more out of it, its not that difficult, it takes some practice, but everything in woodworking and finishing takes some practice, perfection just takes a little more practice.
    Last edited by MacS; 29th September 2007 at 08:18 AM. Reason: left out text

Default Airbrushing

Here, are two photos, one showing shading done with an airbrush around the edges. the other photo shows a repair that was done on green oxidation on a gold edge where the airbrush colored in the gold that was removed

Both of these repairs was done with that same airbrush. Its a great tool to have for doing color repairs, if you don't have a compressor, they sell pressure cans that contain propellent that will work with the airbrush.
    Last edited by MacS; 29th September 2007 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added text