Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question To use existing pine floors or lay new hardwood?

I find myself in a bit of a pickle...

I recently bought 120sqm of Karri (80 X 19) T&G flooring, because it came up at a very good price.

I originally thought that the majority of our subfloor, under the existing carpet, was particle board.

It just so happens that most of the subfloor is actually some variety of pine board, which doesn't look too bad.

My question is, should I still go ahead and lay the Karri, or should I try and get a refund for that and rather sand and polish the existing pine floorboards?

Does the pine tend to come up nicely when it's sanded and polished?

It'll no doubt be a far cheaper reno than the Karri!

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks
    JG

Here are some pics of the pine boards:

Last edited by JontyG; 20th September 2007 at 09:54 PM. Reason: minor change of details

Quote Originally Posted by JontyG View Post
    I find myself in a bit of a pickle...

I recently bought 120sqm of Karri (80 X 19) T&G flooring, because it came up at a very good price.

I originally thought that the majority of our subfloor, under the existing carpet, was particle board.

It just so happens that most of the subfloor is actually some variety of pine board, which doesn't look too bad.

My question is, should I still go ahead and lay the Karri, or should I try and get a refund for that and rather sand and polish the existing pine floorboards?

Does the pine tend to come up nicely when it's sanded and polished?

It'll no doubt be a far cheaper reno than the Karri!

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks
    JG

Here are some pics of the pine boards:

That's Baltic Pine JG, it polishes up very nicely.
    Has a good second hand resale value too as its very highly prized for making furniture with. You could recoup much, if not all, the cost of the Karri, if you went the replacement route.

Personally I'd just polish up the baltic and make furniture from the Karri.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna View Post
    That's Baltic Pine JG, it polishes up very nicely.
    Has a good second hand resale value too as its very highly prized for making furniture with. You could recoup much, if not all, the cost of the Karri, if you went the replacement route.

Personally I'd just polish up the baltic and make furniture from the Karri.
    Thanks Bob.

I only just payed for the Karri yesterday, haven't taken delivery, so I may be able to organise a refund, but I'm not holding my breath...

I had originally planned to lay the Karri boards directly over the existing floor, but that would obviously be a crying shame by the sound of it.

How/where would one sell the Baltic Pine, and what sort of price could I expect to get for it?

thanks again,
    JG

As far as Baltic goes, what you have there is the finest Baltic available. It is referred to as "Red Deal" Baltic. So, once those boards are fine sanded and polished it will look superb.

However, even though what you have is the best of Baltic, personally, I feel that the Karri is a far better timber overall.

If you were to rip up and sell the Baltic, being that it is Red Deal -the top of the range- you could expect top dollar for it, as it is the most sought after.

Classic Recycled Flooring 03 9760 8808

Urban Salvage 03 9391 0466

Give either, or both, of these companies a call and see what they're selling and buying Baltic for, it might help you make the correct decision

Thanks Dusty.

Yep, I think I'm going to pull up the BP boards, try and sell those, and lay the Karri directly onto the joists.

Obviosly I will need to take care notto damage them when I pull them Up. I believe that one can hire floorboard removal tools, is this worth while?

Several advantages to pulling up the existiing boards, including providing an opportunity to inspect the B & J, stumps, ventialtion, moisture, pests, etc.

JG