Default The hand is not a hammer

In the DVD that comes with the Festool Domino one of the demonstrators uses his fist to assemble frames.
    In the DVD "Router Joinery" Gary Rogowski also uses his clenched fist as an assembly tool.
    Unsafe practice!
    When I started my working life one of the section bosses had an almost dead right hand from years of bumping and hammering with it. He was very firm with everybody around about the danger of the practice.
    Brian

I agree my wrists are not that bad but still after years of using them to wack/hit/push force stuff to fit that last bit I suffer for it.
    It can cause such as arthritis, carple tunnel, dead nerve endings crush arteries wich restricts blood flow and dulls sensation.
    but stupid as it may seem i still do it occassionally like when I hit my lock for the lathe on the tail stock.

Well, I use my fist from time to time, but usually for things that don't need a lot of persuading. I find a wooden mallet within reach of the bench is a good idea.

I worked with a carpenter on a job once. He was fitting eave sheets. There he was up a ladder, with one hand holding the ladder, the other holding the sheet, and he realised it was going to need a bit of persuading to get it into the groove. He looked around and no-one was watching (except me ), climbed up the ladder a step higher, and tapped it in with the side of his head!
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    He looked around and no-one was watching (except me ), climbed up the ladder a step higher, and tapped it in with the side of his head!
    Must have been a Liverpudlian

Quote Originally Posted by Wizened of Oz View Post
    When I started my working life one of the section bosses had an almost dead right hand from years of bumping and hammering with it. He was very firm with everybody around about the danger of the practice.
    Yeah, me too, but 40 years ago it was nice to impress the girls breaking bricks with it... have a bit of sympathy for small nerds...

I use my head, two hands to hold it still, one head to hit it

Point well made Brian, but for those of us who don't wear shoes that often there's a quid pro quo; it doesn't hurt nearly as much if you drop your hand on your toe!

P

Be wary of the old " When I nod my nead, you hit it trick "!
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    Albert Einstein

The hand is not a hammer... no, but when my left hand has a hammer in it, it thinks my right hand is a nail

G'day,

And your thumb isn't a nail.

(bugger, I only read Wizened's post and thought i had a good one, then I submitted my post and mic-d beat me to it 4 hours a go.)

A thumb isn't a hammer either, smacking a bit of pipe a month ago I smacked my right thumb nail good and hard, now it's half dead, ohh the pain and words that followed at the time.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Yes I used to use my hands as a hammer but now have the scats on both hands from carpel tunnel syndrome.

Do not use them as hammers anymore