Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Not sure which Line Trimmer

I have $400 to spend on a line trimmer, and am tossing up between the following:

Stihl FS55R, .75Kw, 27.2 cc, straight shaft, 2 stroke, $469.

Honda ULT 425, 1.1hp, 25cc bent shaft 4 stroke, $399

Husqvarna 125L, .80Kw, 28cc Straight shaft, 2 stroke, $369

There is a lower Stihl and Husky that I could buy, and save a few bucks, but I do have $400 to spend, so wanted to get the best I could get.

I am leaning towards the Honda, because it is about 50% quieter than the 2 strokes, and my mower is also 4 stroke, so it means no mixing of fuel. But I am concerned that it won't last as long as the others, being a bent shaft.

The work that is needs to do is pretty basic, just an average size yard, around the edges and along the sides every couple of weeks, not heavy duty slashing or anything.

Any thoughts or experience people would like to share?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Spelunx View Post
    I have $400 to spend on a line trimmer, and am tossing up between the following:

Stihl FS55R, .75Kw, 27.2 cc, straight shaft, 2 stroke, $469.

Honda ULT 425, 1.1hp, 25cc bent shaft 4 stroke, $399

Husqvarna 125L, .80Kw, 28cc Straight shaft, 2 stroke, $369

There is a lower Stihl and Husky that I could buy, and save a few bucks, but I do have $400 to spend, so wanted to get the best I could get.

I am leaning towards the Honda, because it is about 50% quieter than the 2 strokes, and my mower is also 4 stroke, so it means no mixing of fuel. But I am concerned that it won't last as long as the others, being a bent shaft.

The work that is needs to do is pretty basic, just an average size yard, around the edges and along the sides every couple of weeks, not heavy duty slashing or anything.

Any thoughts or experience people would like to share?

Cheers
    I'd seriously go for the Honda. Husky and Stihl are great machines, but there's that two stroke factor. I've had a couple of Stihls, and they certainly are good machines, but when you mix up some two stroke and leave it around between uses, it does them no good.

I want to buy the four stroke next.

I would go for the Honda as well. I have used a Honda trimmer that was a bit bigger that the one you are looking at and the are a nice machine to use. The 4 stroke is really quiet and it is really handy not having to mix fuels as well.
    Have a nice day - Cheers

I went with a 4-stroke mower (Rover) and the Honda line trimmer so I didn't have to worry about mixing fuels.

I'm not a hard-core user, so I wasn't too worried about the bent shaft.
    Matthew

Be alert; Australia needs lerts.

I have both a honda trimmer and honda mower, and I wouldn't use anything else now I've owned them.
    My trimmer is over six years old and has basicly the same motor as the Honda ULT 425 only with the stright shaft. I have done a huge amount of work with mine as I have a 2 acre garden and some of it gets quite thick and heavy, a lot harder work than you are planing. All I've done to my trimmer is replace the spark plug and the foam air filter once each, at a cost of about $10.
    The sales pitch that"hondas start first time every time" is true, mine is over six years old and still starts everytime with only 1 or 2 pulls.
    If it goes against the grain, it's being rubbed the wrong way!

How does the 4 stroke deal with being tipped upside down to reach into odd or high places?

I've got a Husky that does a damn fine job.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    How does the 4 stroke deal with being tipped upside down to reach into odd or high places?

I've got a Husky that does a damn fine job.

With the Honda, no problem, any angle works fine.
    If it goes against the grain, it's being rubbed the wrong way!

Go with the Honda with a straight shaft, much more user friendly and less vibrations
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by djstimber View Post
    Go with the Honda with a straight shaft, much more user friendly and less vibrations

Unfortunately, the cheapest Honda with a straight shaft is $649, which is way out of my price range. Hence the hesitation to buy it. I am not sure I am comparing apples with apples, the Stihl with a bent shaft is only $249, which is $149 cheaper than the Honda.

Thanks for all the replies, I am still leaning towards the Honda because of the quality, quietness and 4 stroke engine. However I am concerned that one of the salesman I spoke to at Stihl said that a bent-shaft trimmer was only good for half an hours work, otherwise you are putting too much pressure on the shaft? I am pretty sure my edging, etc would be around the half-hour mark, probably less, but what if I have to do more at some point? Has anybody else heard this half-hour thing?

mate mate all of these products you have spoke about are just about the best ya can get on the market unless you are mowing lawns and edging for a living why lay out a huge dollars I have had a ryobi piece of crap from bunnings for 8 years now and is as good as the day i got er and my yard does not sound much different from yours (is size that is) and my neighbour has a top of the range stihl that has been in and out the repair shop for as long as I can remember(always coming over bludging mine)

ps never heard about his half hour thing, but sometimes it has taken 1/2 hour for him to start his

ummm, $99 a few years back for an electric black & decker trimmer, plug in and away ya go (damn I hated the petrol eager beaver I had !)

So, it's taken me awhile, but I have finally done some extra work and got the money together for a new line trimmer. So I am spending $400 on a line trimmer, $450 on a coffee grinder, and giving $100 to SWMBO for ...... I dunno.... cushions or something....

I have decided on the Honda, for two reasons:
    1. It's quieter, (I have a 6 week old son and a 21 month old daughter), so it means I will be able to whipper-snipper to my hearts content when they are having their afternoon naps.
    2. It's a 4 stroke, and so is my lawnmower - no mixing fuels.

Anyway, everywhere the Honda is advertised it is set at $399. Does Honda regulate the price for these things? or can dealers undercut the RRP if they want to?

Anyone paid less for cash for a Honda?

Cheers

Jayson.

So I bought the Honda on Friday for $375, and got a packet on line chucked in too. Not the deal of the century, but they filled it with fuel and oil, and the service it the first time for free, so all in all, not bad.

I gave it a rip on the weekend, and am very happy with the purchase.

The more I used it, the more comfortable I became with it.

Thanks for the help!