Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Owner Builder Project

Well things are at the stage where I am fairly confident that I can complete the project without any major hiccups so I feel I can post some pics with a reasonable degree of confidence. Thanks to all for the sound advice.

The fitting out has been the slow part. I have tiled all of downstairs in sandstone tiles and it has taken me months. I have been cleaning and sealing every tile before it was laid on a 14mm bed of mortar. I was only able to manage a batch in the wheelbarrow for 4 tiles at a time. That was a time constraint rather than a volume one. Then there was the grouting, cleaning and sealing after laying. They call me "Leather Knees" now.

Still plenty to do but the light at the end of the tunnel is certainly getting brighter

hi - interesting looking build - two things: got any plans you can post so I can get a better feel for the layout and: where is the build?

have fun!
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Steve, attached are the floor layouts. The garage has a slab on top which will become the upstairs deck. That has (or will have very shortly), a curved roof which is the reverse of the house roof and solid balustrading. There is another curved roof over the entry which mirrors the house roof. I haven't made any provisoin for extra heating or cooling. I don't think the cooling will be a problem because there were some pretty hot spells over summer and it never got above 26 inside. Winter will be the next test. She's all double glazed with R3.5 batts I think they were in all the walls

The house is at Metung which is down on the Gippsland Lakes past Bairnsdale. The climate there is reasonably mild which helps a lot.

Default Nearly there

Things have progressed pretty smoothly and there are only a few major items left - the kitchen upstairs, the driveway and landscaping. I have gone over budget by about 15% which I am pretty happy with and I didn't have a real finish date so that wasn't much of a concern, as long as I get the certificate of occupancy before the permit runs out next April. I went against a lot of the forum advice and put a floating floor in. It went together beautifully and at this stage I am more than happy with it but time and use will be the eventual judge.

Hi Metung,
    The last set of photos pulled it all together. It is looking great. Definitely a credit to you.
    Going over budget by 15% has got to in real terms and compared to other similar jobs less than the norm. Same with your completion time.
    It is always good to hear a success story.
    Well done!
    Cheers
    Bill

love the tiles in the bathroom, thats the sort of thing im hoping to put down when our addition eventually goes up. nice n big

good work!