Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Help with danish oil problem

I recently finished a jarrah frame with danish oil, and it wasn't until i hung it up that i realised there was a pale patch in the finish

I thought i'd cleaned everything pretty carefully beforehand, so i don't really know what it is ... Doubt it was glue.... could it be that i was too eager and applied when turps wasn't dry?

Anyways, apart from wondering what it is, i'm also wondering how to go about fixing it.....

Any ideas would be much appreciated..... It's hard to see in the attached photo, but pretty noticable when up on the wall.

Cheers
    Dave

You're right. It is hard to see in the photo.

Looks to me as if it might have to do with the light playing on a different grain angle in the wood. That means it has to do with the underlying surface and its grain.

My first suggestion is to put more thin coats of DO on the entire piece (leave at least 12 hours between coats and smooth down with 1200 or less grit w&d between coats). It might need 6 or 10 coats. Then use Ubreaut EEE and trad wax to put a proper sheen over the top.

If that doesn't work, use Ubeaut Restorer to take it all off and use Ubeaut Sanding Sealer followed by 6- 10 applications of shellac (Ubeaut is best) followed by EEE and Trad wax.

The best advice, however, is to wait for Neil (Ubeaut) to respond and do what he suggests.
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

From the shape of the patch, it looks like a hand or finger print, did you handle it after cleaning. Try cutting it back with some fine grit paper or steel wool and recoat
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Thanks for the ideas guys.....

Looks to me as if it might have to do with the light playing on a different grain angle in the wood. That means it has to do with the underlying surface and its grain.
    hmmm.... it does look distinctly like a spill or something like that - not just the wood grain (might not be able to see it too well in photo!!!)

From the shape of the patch, it looks like a hand or finger print, did you handle it after cleaning. Try cutting it back with some fine grit paper or steel wool and recoat
    It was a while back now, but i think i was wearing latex gloves during the whole process..... but you're right, it is a bit like a hand print.

So if i cut back with some find paper,will i need to apply turps/metho or anything to try and get rid of the contaminant?

Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Frithy View Post
    but i think i was wearing latex gloves during the whole process.....

Were they Powder free?

will i need to apply turps/metho or anything to try and get rid of the contaminant?

Depends on what it is, I wouldn't use turps(this may be the problem) to clean the timber as it's a bit oily, metho evaporates off completely
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by djstimber View Post
    I wouldn't use turps(this may be the problem) to clean the timber as it's a bit oily, metho evaporates off completely
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Thanks for the tips....

Hi Dave,
    Do not under estimate the value of grain filling as Jeremy said. Also, depending on the timber, a piece can have different absorbtion spots.
    You may also try sanding with wet/dry on fresh DO, then wipe/buff and recoat if you are not going to use EEE.

cheers
    conwood