Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

G'day Orca - I'd go at it with the Shellawax liquid. You should always get a much brighter finish with the liquid than with the Cream which gives a much softer look and a slightly dryer looking shine rather than the super deep, wet look shine of the liquid.

But don't forget the timber can have a great deal to do with the final finish. Often the inside won't have the same shiny appearance as the out side or vice versa simply because of the way the rays of the light hit the timber or are refracted back out.

Cheers - Neil

Quote Originally Posted by ubeaut View Post
    Answers:

1/ 6 mth awful, 5 years bloody awful

2/ On the lathe put Shellawac, Shellawax Cream or a combination of both or Shellawax Glow over the EEE. Under the EEE almost anything.

EEE IS NOT a finish. EEE IS an abrasive.

As a rule EEE is used prior to applying any of the Shellawaxes or as a final cut over almost any other finish to eliminate blemishes and bring up a brighter finish.

It can also be used prior to finishing with our (unmentionable) Waxtik or any other wax finish.

However in your case (on rosewood and camphor laurel) using it is probably preferable to anything else other than the waxtik or an oil as both are oily timbers and will dull the shellawaxes.

Using EEE as a finish on raw timber will bring up a brilliant glow but the surface of the timber is still basically raw wood as most of the wax is taken off the work into the application rag. This means that the finish will mark and spot with water and will dull off with any moisture in the air and with handeling.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil
    DAMN!!! So THATS why me turnings have turned dull So why didnt no one say nuffin

Must admit though Id taken to whacking a layer of that shellawax goop on first.. THEN putting the EEE on... huh... so I was doin it assaboutface eh? typical

Gotta get some of that glow stuff just to have a go eh! mind you I gotta find a way INTO my shed... soooo much STUFF turned up when the inlaws moved I CANT GET IN THERE!!... seriously I cant... I open the door and go legup over the stacked stuff in there... see before they began sorting and moving their 80odd years of accumulated family hairylooms an timber an such from both sides of the family some dating back several hundred years... I was in "time to change the shed" mode so as it was there was gear EVERYWHERE!! but now?... ooooh gawd now its a friggin nightmare out there!!

But ah well I know Ive got this bobby dazzler of a lathe there somewhere I also know theres 4 new chisels waiting for their first face up to some timber and I know somewhere in there is a 3/4 full container of EEE... buggar all shellawax left though so I will get it sorted and give it a whirl

glad I dropped into this gratuitous plug for Ubeaut thread
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Quote Originally Posted by ubeaut View Post
    G'day Orca - I'd go at it with the Shellawax liquid. You should always get a much brighter finish with the liquid than with the Cream which gives a much softer look and a slightly dryer looking shine rather than the super deep, wet look shine of the liquid.

But don't forget the timber can have a great deal to do with the final finish. Often the inside won't have the same shiny appearance as the out side or vice versa simply because of the way the rays of the light hit the timber or are refracted back out.

Cheers - Neil
    Thanks, Neil - I picked up a bottle of the liquid yesterday, will give it a try.

Interesting thought about the difference in the way the light hits - might have something there...sure doesn't look that bed as is so I may just leave it as it is.

Thanks for the help,

Stephen