Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Should I stain my Kwila deck before oiling?

I have recently had a kwila deck and planter boxes built. I have read about the bleeding of kwila wood and that it needs to be left to weather before oiling. I have also read that using a Napisan wash can help speed up this weathering process - which I am doing.

Someone suggested to me that I should stain the deck and planter boxes before I oil them just to make sure the fnish is superb. Can anyone suugest a good stain to use or infact this is the best things to do?

Thanks!

I used an oil based finish that had a stain in it. Colour was Merbau (which is another name for Kwila).
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

I had all the same questions as you've asked when building my merbau(kwila) deck. If you do some searching through this forum you will get some good advice that has been gone over many times.
    You're doing exactly the right thing by washing it with the napisan solution but remember to let the timber wheather for at least 2 months before coating with your product of choice. Finally wash the deck with an oxalic acid solution just before coating (available as an expensive 'brand name' wash or in no-name concentrate for a fraction of the price). I chose to oil as suggested above but simply chose natural colour with no tint and the result is amazing. Allow timber to be bone dry before coating and in between coats. I went with the Wattyl Timber Decking Oil but others such as FeastWatson and Cabots make equivalents.
    Others on this forum will suggest acrylic based finishes which will form a protective film on the timber but do have the advantage of lasting longer. Their disadvantage is that they hide the natural grain of the timber and often require light sanding when it comes time to re-coat.
    Oil based finishes simply need to be re-applied when needed and give, in my opinion, a beautiful natural look.

It took me a bit of trial and error to work it all out so I hope it all helps.

I'm just about to lay my Kwila decking. A few people have told me to seal the ends where I have cut the decking, before I lay it. This seems to go against the weathering process.
    Any toughts?

Dont worry about sealing the ends. you can do those when you do the floor . Just let it bleed well after a good rain or soak it with the hose if you cant wait. Then when its dry 2-3 coats of intergrain or sikkens is all you need. I prefer the intergrain 3 in 1 .

What about joins where 2 boards meet above the joists?