Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Skew ChiDAMN!! View Post
    Personally, I don't care. I won't know, I'll be dead.

I'd like to think that my father's and grandfather's tools would pass on to someone who'd appreciate them, but I'd only be fooling myself if I believed that. Even now, my bros nick bits'n'pieces from my shed to make a quick buck. Lost a bloody marvellous set of spokeshaves that way. Unfortunately, I can't prove it... but on the few times I've caught them at it they've come back with "it's just a bit of old tat, not worth anything." Yeah? Then are they pinching it to sell down the market, huh? Not worth anything, my asre!

Bloody fambly. Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.
    That alright skew, anything you don't want your family to pinch, just drop off in my shed for safekeeping. I will look after it for you, honest
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Great post, Linden. I guess we all do nothing about it because its something we don't want to think about.
    When my old man passed on a neighbour was paid $50 a load to dispose of everything in the shed. That included a boat trailer and an '0 gauge' hand built train set and tracks. Was I angry? Have i ever got over it. And that could happen to any of us.
    How would you feel if some joker offered $50 for that old Domino cutter in the plastic box after you were gone? (I guess you wouldn't feel anything!)

My advice do something now. List it all, put a price on it - what you paid is OK or write something very clearly as to who gets what.

Carry Pine

As Said by Carry Pine - When my old man passed on a neighbour was paid $50 a load to dispose of everything in the shed. That included a boat trailer and an '0 gauge' hand built train set and tracks. Was I angry? Have i ever got over it
    I was thinking along similar lines when I started this thread. Valuable equipment sold off to the first bidder, family in shock, just want to clear out items.
    If you do have precious equipment, loving handcrafted work that you spent your time making - who will receive them or will they get trashed. Having these live on - long after your gone - owned, used or displayed by people who care.
    Unless you express your wishes verbally, or in a will, then your family or heirs may just dump them or sell off.

Linden, we are 'two great minds ' on this one. The associated beef I have is that Dad was a member of a semi-religious group and when he passed on the members came around to collect the uniforms and equipment.
    I think it went like this:
    "While we're here would you like us to get rid of ..............?
    The perfect 'in' .

Another relative burnt a photo album containing a photo of my great grandfather in a Matong (some people will know where that is) AFL jumper. (before it was AFL of course).
    I discovered AFL at the age of 22 and now my son (26) plays (very well). Now how valuable would that picture be to us?

List all the precious stuff and put a name next to it. Just do it.

Carry Pine