Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Waterproof Finishes

G'day all,

I'm making a speargun for a mate who competes in spearfishing competitions all the time.

What varnish type of finish is appropriate for finishing off something that is going to be immersed in seawater for extended periods of time and on a regular basis?
    Last edited by RETIRED; 18th May 2003 at 09:48 PM.
    If at first you don't stuff it up, mumble thanks to the god of woodworkers . . . then keep going !

Probably marine varnish would be your best bet.....But don't be surprised if it don't last long..

The first question I would ask is what sort of wood is appropriate.

Then the finish matters less.

It is surprising how much preasure acts on diving equipment.

If the finish isnt right the water will get under it & rip it off real quick.

Thumbs up

I made a custom speargun two years ago - maple barrel with three coats of marine varnish. Unless you’re planning on growing gills and living on the bottom of the ocean you will have few problems with this.

One thing to watch is the barrel, especially the top. At some point , the finish will get damaged, whether on a reef, when fending off very angry fish (read monster barracuda - bigger than jaws I swear) that you are now attached to via 15m of venetian blind cord, by hitting said fish very clumsily on the head, by said fish taking a bite at speargun being clumsily poked at its head,... by the spear shaft or by the metal fixings on some of the cheaper rubbers.

A touch up with 200 wet and dry and another coat of varnish every year or so depending on its condition should avert any problems.

Best wishes,
    Eastie

Last edited by Eastie; 19th May 2003 at 12:41 PM.

Sounds like you've had interesting times out on the reef. Fortunately I never had any similar experiences.

My mate goes in 'blue water' events - 80 - 100ft deep dive sites, he has gills - can stay down for up to 3 mins depending on what he's after.

Thanks for the advice on finishes - the wood is teak btw - sorry I failed to mention that fact prior . . . I start routing and shaping it later this morning so any further advice will be appreciated.
    Last edited by Rex; 20th May 2003 at 03:22 AM.
    If at first you don't stuff it up, mumble thanks to the god of woodworkers . . . then keep going !

Default Marine Epoxy...

Hello all,
    I m a brand new member and just start reading about wood finish for speargun on your site.

I m presently working on 3 different prototype of gun and one is finish. Unfortunatly I havent been able to put it to the test yet. It to bloody cold her in Canada for the moment!

So for the finish on my first 4 feet long gun I have use MARINE EPOXIE. Nothing do do with varnish. It prety expensive but I think it deserve a try. Like I said, I did not have the chance to put it to the test yeat but it look efficient.

The result on my gun after 3 coating is a mesurable thikness looking like hard transparent plastic.

I will give you the result of my test a soon as the temperature will permit me to put my dry suit back to the sorage room.

Burn.