Thread: Louvre

Default Louvre

Hi all, im chasing a product or some advice on a louvre system for a job im about to start. The owner has asked me to supply a finish to the louvres and although its not normally my job, i feel obligated as she cant find anyone else to do it. the louvres are made from quilla (or mirbau), with a section size of 130mm x 30mm. They are in full exposure year round, and are rather high off the ground so minimal maintenance would be desirable. There are around 80 lengths to cover aswell so i'd like to keep number of coats down too if possible, i figure around 125m2 for one coat? any help is greatly appreciated. regards, adam.

Spray lacquer is the obvioius choice, assuming you are spraying. Are you after more specific advice (ie types of lacquers)?
    Rusty

yeah, if you can a brand or something would be great. and i dont have spray gear either. i could probably hire something though i wonder if i should just use a brush on product to save me using a gun having very limited knowledge of them.

Probably best brushing. Spraying requires a gun, copressor plus learning how to use it.

Wattyl Estapol is a a popular hardwearing finish available from most paint/hardware stores. Other alternatives are shellac (easy to use) or one of the Danish oils. What you must use for shutters, I'd say, is something that gives a full finish that is easily cleaned. Definitely don't want a finish dust may stick to. Estapol or similar is probably the easiest way to achieve this.

U-Beaut (sponsor of this site) may also have a brush on product similar to estapol.
    Rusty

None of those finishes are suitable outside.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Too true. Sorry, I thought we were discussing indoor shutters (blinds).

Might want to consider a decking oil or outdoor furniture oil.
    Rusty

thanks for your time guys, i will check out the products mentioned when the job starts. i was hoping for an easy way out but it looks like im stuck doing the hard yards. if nothing else it'll be something to learn from i guess. thanks again, Adam.