Default need fast drying compatable sealer

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I've a problem I was hoping to get good advice with. I am making outdoor benches for sale and need to finish in marine grade spar varnish.
    The problem with spar varnish is drying time. Would like to use something to seal with for sanding purposes that will dry quickly and be completely compatable with spar varnish. I have heard mixed responses of shellac or lacquer. Any ideas?
    Thanx,
    Capt Zero

"Back to the freeway which is already in progress"
    Ralph Spoilsport

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Zero View Post
    <table id="HB_Mail_Container" unselectable="on" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="100&#37;" width="100%"><tbody><tr width="100%" unselectable="on" height="100%"><td id="HB_Focus_Element" unselectable="off" background="" height="250" valign="top" width="100%">I've a problem I was hoping to get good advice with. I am making outdoor benches for sale and need to finish in marine grade spar varnish.
    The problem with spar varnish is drying time. Would like to use something to seal with for sanding purposes that will dry quickly and be completely compatable with spar varnish. I have heard mixed responses of shellac or lacquer. Any ideas?
    Thanx,
    Capt, when it comes to outdoor finishes there is no such thing as a free lunch. Putting either shellac or lacquer under marine spar varnish defeats the whole purpose of the spar varnish.
    Best first coat for marine spar varnish is marine spar varnish thinned about 20-25%, this will soak into the timber and seal it and provide a suitable surface for the remaining coats.

</td></tr><tr unselectable="on" hb_tag="1"><td style="font-size: 1pt;" unselectable="on" height="1">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

Ok, I was afraid that would be the case. Thanks for the advice, I was hoping I might be able to save a little time. Impatient as always .
    capt zero

"What's with all this broohaha?"
    Catherwood