Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Preserving a small Historical Artifact

I bought this piece out of a collection of Civil War items from an estate near Perryville, Kentucky (where one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War took place). This Civil War bullet was found lodged in an old, dead tree. It was discovered with a metal detector.
    The log piece measures 11" x 4".

The wood is very porous and soft and can easily be pulled apart.

I'm thinking that to preserve the piece as is that possibly sealing the object with a wood sealer would suffice for reducing further damage.

Is/would this be a practical attempt at saving the piece as is?

If so, any suggestions at the better sealers or media that would better suit the object?

The mini-ball is of course lead and does show the effects of aging in it's situation.

BTW, very nice forum you guys have here. A wealth of information to be gleaned and used.

LW

I'm sure that sealing it will only devalue it in the long run.

Why not build a small case for it, and make sure that people keep their grubby hands off it. If it can't be touched, and the humidity is kept relatively stable, it shouldn't deteriorate any further.

Cheers,

P (and welocome BTW!

P', thanks for your quick response. It is BTW, underglass, but would still like to consider sealing it. As far as it's monetary value now or value increase as a collectible is not considered here.

It is only for my private collection and personal satisfaction at the finding of the piece and my knowing that I had an ancestor that fought and died at that battle.

Thanks for the welcome.
    LW

As one who collects stuff I strongly agree with midge, but for purely personal use without consideration of increased value two generations from now, you might consider epoxy resin. I forget the exact name of the product, but you can get it at your local handy dan or whatever. Basicly a brush on lucite coating.

"Don't get a job, hang out at Bob's. Bob's Brazierco Lounge at the corner of Third and Furniture. Dine by the lights in her eyes."

Hi LW,
    It might be worth using a water based polymer. I do not have any experience but have seen products used to stop and treat wood rot although it may change the colour. Search 8OZ think it is available in US down here there is a product called Earl's Wood Hardener. Maybe some other forumites could comment.
    Cheers & welcome Mike
    Mike
    "Working to a rigidly defined method of doubt and uncertainty"

G'day LW and welcome to the fun factory.

Any thoughts about contacting your local museum - they have the people who are experts in conservation of this sort of thing.

I agree with the above to keep it as original as possible - you have a piece of history here which needs/deserves care.

Regards,
    Bob

Whatever you do should be reversible. I think a fixative like B72 paraloid varnish which has been used by conservators for years as a consolidant would be appropriate. I would keep the piece in a glass case with a sachet of dessicant to keep the humidity down. An art restorer or gilder should be able to help you get hold of the varnish.

Nik A

Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    Earl's Wood Hardener. Maybe some other forumites could comment.
    Cheers & welcome Mike

Although the lable promised the earth I was very disapointed with this product. All soft, pithy wood has to be removed which defeats the purpose of using it, just my opinion mind.