Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
    scubabob Guest

Default brickwork advice needed

i have little expereince with sticking bricks together but i need to do some pretty quickly. My dad i s getting on in years and is having trouble walking, he now uses a walking frame. As such, he can no longer get down the three front steps of his house as the frame and him dont fit.

What i need to do is basically make the three steps longer so he can access them. Pretty simple really but as i said i have little experince with brickwork. I cant afford to get someone in to do it, i am pretty handy with everything else, just lack expereince in this field. i have it all planned and stuff, just need advice on mortar mixes anad stuff. Anything anyone can say to make it easier for me would be gratefully received

Have a look here.

Al

What about timber decking

scubabob Guest

Awesome site!! Thanks so much for the heads up. Everything i could want is there, much appreciated. And thanks from my dad in advance.

As for timber deck? i suggested that, i am much better with timber, but he wants concrete, so bricks and mortar it is.

I have got heaps to do on the site yet to make it even betterer.

Maybe you could install some concrete treads on top of the bricks, these come in 450x75x900mm and 450x75x1200mm sizes.

Heavy though, so you will need someone to assist in plonking them down.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by scubabob View Post
    i have little expereince with sticking bricks together but i need to do some pretty quickly. My dad i s getting on in years and is having trouble walking, he now uses a walking frame. As such, he can no longer get down the three front steps of his house as the frame and him dont fit.
    get rid of the steps and put in a concrete ramp, no brickwork involved )

For older people, especially if they are needing to use a walking frame or stick, a ramp is better for them