Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Nipple extensions

I have the two nipples for the hot and cold in the laundry for the washing machine too short.

Now apart from tearing off the tiles and sheet and moving the backing noggin, how do I extend the nipples by about 20-30mm.

The reason is that the washing machine stop cocks (taps) have the perpendicular thread section too close, almost touching the tiles, so there is no room to put the washing machine hoses on.

I have seen laundry taps with nipples pointing forward at an angle which would make it easier to attach the hoses. A visit to the plumbing supplies may solve your problem.

You will be able to extend by fitting a bush then another nipple but it will be longer than 20 to 25mm. What you can do is do what I said above then push the nipples back into the noggin by placing a cap in the nipple then giving it a hit with the hammer until your thread length protruding from the wall is right.

I had a brainwave just a moment ago.

I can remove the weatherboards on the outside of the wall. They have to be replaced, repaired, old window hole filled etc. anyway. Then I can cut the nails holding the noggin with my pneumatic reciprocating saw (panel beating tool). It has a 0.8 thick mm blade, so should fit in a noggin gap and cut the nails.

Then the noggin will be floating. I can push it in, making the nipples come out further. Go back inside and then put on the backing plates, put on the taps. Back outside and pull the noggin back out and make the taps flush with the backing plates. Then drill and skew screw the noggin back in. Filally plop the weatherboards back on.

It will make the taps sit really neatly against the backing plates and the tiles.

Hope I made sense?

You can get a female to male bush which from memory will give you either 25 or 30mm extra or as Bazza says you can get some stopcocks with an angled thread
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Am I not grasping something here? How about replacing the nipples with the next size length? If not available in the desired size, cut new pipe to length and have threads cut at both ends. Upover here, Home Despot (Bunnies equivalent according to my imperfect understanding) has the threading machine in the aisle near the piping.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by joe greiner View Post
    Am I not grasping something here? How about replacing the nipples with the next size length? If not available in the desired size, cut new pipe to length and have threads cut at both ends. Upover here, Home Despot (Bunnies equivalent according to my imperfect understanding) has the threading machine in the aisle near the piping.

Joe
    Over here the nipples are normally brazed to copper tube, so swapping them over isn't really an option
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by djstimber View Post
    Over here the nipples are normally brazed to copper tube, so swapping them over isn't really an option
    I more than halfway suspected something like that. Thanks.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

All that should be needed is a couple of M&F nipple extenders, available from any large plumbing supply shop.

Put these on first, then your raised flange(backing plate).Make sure you have enough thread tape(I would use a thread sealant like LOCKTITE 577, also available from plumbing supply) on the nipple inside the wall, because after you put your flange on you won't be able to see if it leaks.

Depending on how much nipple protrudes from the wall at the moment, you may have to cut it back before you put the extenders on to allow the flange to sit against the wall.

Ooooh nipple extenders. I like the sound of that.

Makes sense about making sure 100% of a seal in behind the wall.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by djstimber View Post
    They're not really nipples, they're backplate elbows.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post
    They're not really nipples, they're backplate elbows.

Mick
    Thanks Mick, knew what they were called but for the life of me, could not remember the name
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

All done using my outside access method. Worked really well and looks a treat. Laundry painted and washing machine installed.