Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Sequence Of Operations For Architraves & Skirts

Hi,

As I have mentioned elsewhere we are having our laundry/toilet renovated presently and yet again we are having problems with one tradesman blaming another for the way the job has been done so far. The person to really blame is the manager of the company who obviously has too many projects on the go to be able to give clear instructions and get the right tradesperson in at the correct time at our abode.

For instance should the plastering be completed prior to the architraves and skirts being fitted?

Should the plumber (who came in prior to the carpenter fitting the architraves and skirts) have completed doing his tasks prior to the chippie coming in?

I will lay the vinyl floor tiles but I was advised that this should be done after the skirts are in place in other words the new skirting doesn't lay on top of the new tiles?

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts/advice who may have been through a similiar situation previously.

Cheers
    MH

Hi MH

Plastering should be finished before architraves and skirtings are fitted. Plastering should also be finished before the plumber fits cover plates and taps. Also I would do the painting before the plumber does his final fitout to stop getting paint on fittings etc so that would really mean the plumber coming after the carpenter as well as the painter but the carpenter before the painter also.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

We did our bathroom and laundry in this order.
    Plumbing, electrical, windows and door frames fitted in framework
    Villaboard and plaster
    Shower hob and bath fitted
    Waterproofing and tiling
    Floor underlay sheeting and Linoleum (Forbo) tiles laid.
    Pedestal basin, toilet suite, plumbing fittings and electrical fittings
    Architraves then skirting.

I am doing the painting last as the plumbing fittings are all on tilework, and the electrical all have removable outer covers.

It was tricky to get the work done in small sections, but it also worked well to negotiate good prices on jobs, as they could be fitted in between other jobs, or as 'private' jobs. We just had to wait sometimes. This has taken 5 months so far, but we all do it a different way.

Cheers and good times with it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_White View Post
    Hi MH

so that would really mean the plumber coming after the carpenter as well as the painter but the carpenter before the painter also.

Thats my 2 cents worth.
    Question Bazza. - Who's on First! ;D

To make the painting easier, paint the plaster before the skirtings and fittings go on. You dont have to worry about cutting in around the skirts and arcs and any other fittings.

Work out where you are going to tile up to and only paint a couple of inched into that area, the tiles will cover the rest.

Once that is done do your fitout and everthing will look so much cleaner.

If there is any damage it is easily touched up.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

My thanks to Barry, Peter, Pharmaboy2 and Jim for your replies.

The way I would do the closing sequences after interpreting the excellent replies given is

Plasterer - Painter - Carpenter - Plumber - Electrician

I suppose you could put the electrician further back in the sequence but I was thinking of the safety situation and it is only a small reno not a new building.

Either way, the group I have gone a--e about -i-. Yesterday for instance the plasterer (who had put back the old light and extraction unit on Thursday and not the new one which is 40mm smaller) came back to stop up and replace the plasterbord (with the hole in it). However, as the electrician hadn't been on Friday to remove it he said he could not remove it, thus he could not change the plasterboard with the hole in it., neither could he put the cornicing up as a result. Now I have been told (this morning) that the...................wht the hell - it is really p-----g me off as I know I could have done a better job of organizing it.

I just hope the bloody thing is sorted out before we go on our interstate holiday next Sunday?

Cheers
    MH

Its a hard one ....depends how much you pay and the quality of who you get......

Architraves go before skirting
    I understand your idea about vinyl but generally it done after .... If done before you can't get it off without removing the skirting...
    Gyproc should be done then skirting but quite often not the case

The prob stems from money and time consraints... Quite often people don't want to hear the option mentality of heres the job and heres the quote for it done right ..... We all like to assume its always done right but in todays market plenty don't do the right job making the ones that do look expensive....

cheers utemad