Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Power sources - 110V and 3 phase

Has anyone investigated the use of step down transformers to get 110 V (a la http://www.tortech.com.au/stepdown.html) or devices like these (http://www.tradingpost.com.au/itemin...s_Real+Estate_) to get 3-phase power?

I'm not planning on using them (fundage doesn't allow me to buy anything at the moment), but thought that it could be a low (?) cost alternative for limited applications...
    Matthew

Be alert; Australia needs lerts.

Hi Masher,
    I had a stepdown transformer purpose built for use with a Porter Cable router (110volt). It has been working well for about 3 years. It is only suitable for use in the shed because of the weight.

Gerard

G'day Masher, I have seen numerous threads by people that are using step down transformers and don't seem to have any problems doing so.
    With regards to using a 3 Phase inverter, depending on what you plan to use it for, there are smaller units available than the one in the link you provided and they are also able to be used as speed controllers as a bonus by changinging the frequency supplied to the device it is powering ie. on a pedestal drill or a lathe. Last time I had a look the prices were starting at around $500. Can't remember who the supplier was but may have been someone like Siemens or Klochner Moeller or one of those types of companies as they are the companies we tend to deal with at work and that would have been where I saw the units advertised.
    I'm a maintenance Sparky by trade and I have been told by colleagues that they are a great alternative to changing motors but I haven't actually seen one in use myself.
    Cheers
    Max