Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Agg pipe depth

Default Agg pipe depth

Could anybody help me regarding what depth agg pipe should be. it is going to be installed around two walls of my sons home to aid drainage and hopefully get rid of the musty smell in the room after heavy rain. the room is built with pier and beam,brick veneer construction with wooden floor. it seems the soil around the room has been built up to be about 150mm below floor level.any advice would be grateful, thanks
    cheers wardy

If you are talking dungeon depth room, then the drain need to be at the bottom of the room, or even below it to let the water escape.

The other thing is, how are you going to get rid of the water collected?

Al

Befoer i do anything Id be checking that the house has adequate under floor ventilation.
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Could anybody help me regarding what depth agg pipe should be. it is going to be installed around two walls of my sons home to aid drainage and hopefully get rid of the musty smell in the room after heavy rain. the room is built with pier and beam,brick veneer construction with wooden floor. it seems the soil around the room has been built up to be about 150mm below floor level.any advice would be grateful
    There's probably pools of water under the house after heavy rain. I reckon you should lower the outside ground level to the same level (or lower if it's going to be paved) as the ground level under the house, then put in ag drain and make sure there's plenty of ventilation. Then check for rot and termites.

I've seen a house with paving built up to about the top of the bearers and despite there being ventilation on one side of the house, a large part of the joists and bearers rotted. Floor boards were ok as they were protected by foil. The floor got quite bouncy. Not easy or cheap to fix as all the subfloor timber had to be replaced in situ (stumps were concrete). Needless to say all the plaster cracked, and the paving had to be replaced plus storm water pipes and electricity conduit to garage had to be lowered.