Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

2 to the body. 1 to the head. Problem solved.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

If they are caught with the smoking gun or bloody knife in their hot little hands then there should be no argument at all

Death Penalty = No Repeat Offenders

MY thoughts on Martin Bryant's suicide? I say let him do it BUT first we need to have a royal commission into the whole affair. The records should be unsealed and all evidence presented in open court.
    He was never tried or found guilty. He pleaded guilty after first pleading not guilty. There are a large number of unanswered questions about this whole affair that need to be made public.I dont believe there was even a coroners inquest.
    Yet we had a coroners inquest etc for the Kempsey bus crash which also killed a large number. And now we are having not one but three investigation into the Kerang train crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob38S View Post
    If they are caught with the smoking gun or bloody knife in their hot little hands then there should be no argument at all

Death Penalty = No Repeat Offenders
    My research, both as a historian and a practising lawyer, into the death penalty is that the main effect that it has is to reduce the conviction rate - juries (ie ordinary people like you (and maybe me, except I'm not allowed to be a juror) don't convict if there is any shadow of doubt as tot he guilt of the accused. Individuals don't like to think that they have blood on their hands unless the guilt of the accused is clear beyond any doubt.

So if you want murderers to be punished, don't impose the death sentence.

Think of it this way - 14 years in gaol is much more punishment than a not guilty verdict because a juror (or 3, if "majority" verdicts are allowed) wasn't so sure that he or she was prepared to see the accused killed.
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Good point Pedro.
    I agree with you.

There are far too many unanswered questions.
    And the firearms owners of Australia have been made the scapegoats by Jackboot Johnny.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton