Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default load bearing or not?

Hi Folks,

Im new to the forums so please excuse my newbiness.

A little background.

I have a two storey building. The second storey was added 5 years later after the first storey was completed. The exterior is concrete brick. The width of the building is approximately 20 feet wide by 50 long. The second storey was not built with brick all the way around, only the front and two sides. The back wall is a wood studded wall with vinyl siding.

I need to replace this wall due to wood rot and mold. This wall runs parrallel with the roof rafters. The roof is a flat roof.

I do not think that this wall is load bearing. the rafters do not touch the actual header and there are 2 sets of shims in place that are moveable. Im not sure if this should be a load bearing wall.

What do you think?

I think that if you knock the wall out and the whole thing doesn't fall down its not load bearing and doesn't need to be.

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

From your description it doesn't sound like it is a load bearing wall. That said though it wouldn't hurt to have the ceiling/roof propped as close as possible to the existing wall while you replace it.....just to be safe.
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.

I was planning to support the ceiling by a nearby rafter when ripping down the wall to be sure.

If it is a load bearing wall Im assuming that a snug fit studded skeleton would do the job.

Ill try to post a pic or two for your perusal.

Thanks

With this description it sounds more likely to be load-bearing.

If it is one of the long walls the roof rafters almost certainly span across the 20 feet narrower distance - (who uses feet anymore?!) 50' beams running the length to hold up a flat roof would be unusual in the extreme.

This has the potential for a catastrophe if you get it wrong so get some pics up here to start with and we can give some better advice, but before embarking on such an exercise you should get someone who knows to confirm for you.

But . . . if you are just having to replace a smallish section then just a suitable prop across a couple of rafter spaces using an acro or just timber with a plate top and bottom of suitable length and strength with a couple of wedges to get it firm and away you go.

well here are a couple of pics....

first off I just bought this property and have been fxing mistakes like this ongoing.

the wall itself is about 20 feet long. I could do it in 2 sections and most likely will. Notice at the top where the rafters are there are only 2 small shims which barely seem to be caring any weight.

pics attached

another

need any other views... let me know

thanks

The pics seem to show a large beam above the top plate and that would appear be the load bearing member.

Better to get someone local to look on site and confirm - even if load bearing you could prop securely and remove/ replace in sections.

hmmm....

Good thinking about doing it in sections. Two 10 foot section would make things alot easier.

Im not sure if I have the term correct but I was going to put in a donkey wall? one rafter back.

Cut out half of the older wall where the supported(donkey wall) area is. Install new wall and replace the other section using the same procedure.

This will be my first time attempting to replace a wall. Im not sure how much experience is needed to complete this project; but I feel fairly comfortable and confident that the roof wont fall in, and I will do a to code job. Although it would be nice to have someone check to make sure if its okay. Im thinking about a permit and getting the city to check my work.

Thoughts?