Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Floor Insulation

I am about to get the new carpets layed on my floors next week and have been considering whether it is worth rolling out some builders wrap/foil on the floor before it goes down. House is on stumps with 22mm particle board flooring over c section. I am putting quality underlay under the carpet and want to know whether I will gain any benefit from putting the wrap under that. Wrap is supposedly rated at 0.5 and I don't know whether this will make any decernable difference.

Cheers,
    Mike

Hi Mike what underlay are they installing

They just refer to it as Gold underlay, it is the expensive one , nice and thick and soft to walk on.

I thought the foil wrap needed a bit of an air gap to perform very well? I think if you install it before your chipbaord you are suposed to dish it between the joists? I guess every bit helps though.

Reflective foil must face on open air space to have any thermal value.
    Peter Clarkson

www.ausdesign.com.au

This information is intended to provide general information only.
    It does not purport to be a comprehensive advice.

I thought that was the case, I have been thinking about it more today and wondered if I would be best finding a cheap source of styrofoam and glueing that under the floor onto the flooring.

I did once see something on ebay that was like 20 litre drums of expanding foam that was sprayed under floors. I know they use the 20 litre drums of foam in exporation drilling to seal aircore holes. This stuff is just poured down the holes and I have never heard of spraying it let alone using it to spray the underside of flooring, anyone heard of or seen this? It would be a good idea if it worked.

There used to be a similar product around in the early 80's that didn't last long because it was formaldahyde based.
    Nearly all the insul. manuf. have a floor product now. It may be worth checking them out as to price.
    Insulation batts between the joists makes a big difference but installation can be a real pain.
    Peter Clarkson

www.ausdesign.com.au

This information is intended to provide general information only.
    It does not purport to be a comprehensive advice.