Default Question about Pryda Joist hangers and nails

We are owner builders and we are at the stage of putting our joists down.

We are using Hyjoist 300 beams onto top mounted and face mounted Pryda joist hangers.

The Pryda installation guide tells me I should use 40 mm x 3.75 mm nails or equivalent.

My question: what does "or equivalent" mean.

I would like to use a nail gun to save time and generally the nails are 50 x 2.8 mm. The extra length of the nail is no problem, but my concern is does the 50 x 2.8 provide the same level of fixing as the 40 x 3.75?

I plan to ring Pryda up on Monday to ask but as I found this forum recently I thought it would be nice to hear from people with practical experience.

Alex

OBBob went through all of this not that long ago. Have a read of this thread here
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Ring paslode they have a nail to do it for the duofast coil nailer but it does wear the piston driver a bit faster than nailing into timber..

Paslode is at ingleburn Nsw if your in Sydney its 25mins south on the M5

cheers Utemad

www.dialadeck.com.au

Geese I opened a can of worms!

How many do you have to do ... it's isn't that hard when you get into it ... mind you I'm still growing out the black thumbnail on my left hand!!

Many thanks for the replies. I went through OB Bob's thread and also rang Pryda. The technical people at Pryda emailed me instructions on how to use a nail gun with their hangers - with details on how close the nails can be to the edge of the hanger and the number of nails required, etc.

In the end we did it the manual way.

cheers
    alex999

It seems every time abalcony collapses it was hanging on bloody joist hangers, should be made illegal

Quote Originally Posted by roy View Post
    It seems every time abalcony collapses it was hanging on bloody joist hangers, should be made illegal
    Gees that's encouraging!

Oh well, probably depends oh how you use them. I have full span bearers that sit on the top plates ... so they should go anywhere, then the hangers are just supporting short joists between.

I can see, however that supporting the whole structure via joist hangers may not be the best idea. But I think they have their place if used correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by roy View Post
    Roy what's your alternative suggestion and basis for that claim? I don't think skew nailing cuts it.

Cheers
    Pulse