Default Rotten spots on roofing beams

Hi,

I have just found that due to overtightening of some screws my roof is leaking in half a dozen spots.

If i seal the roof, is it ok to get some treated 2x4 and use some brackets and coach bolts to brace these rotten spots?

The rotten areas are no longer than 6 inches long and at the moment arent ready to give way.

Cheers
    Paul

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

Before repairing I'd suggest scraping back the damaged sections and applying a timber fungicide/preservative - this way you can be reasonably confident that the damage won't continue to occur.

As for strengthening.....your plan is fine. But you won't need brackets or coach bolts. Just screw the new length to the rafter across the damaged using bugle head batten screws (buildex type 17 or similar)
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.

Cheers,

Any fungicide that you could recommend?

Also in regards to the 2x4, should I affix a piece to the bottom, or one to each side? (Obviously cant affix it to the top).

Cheers
    Paul

[quote=barbz;511850]Cheers,

Any fungicide that you could recommend?

I have used "preschem timber preservative" before and it works www.preschem.com . In the last week whilst doing an ensuite reno I came across the base plates (hardwood) in the stud wall 3/4 rotten from water leaking over XX years and I used a product from Timbermate called "Earls Wood Hardner" (available at bunnies) and it worked a treat and did exactly what it said it would do. The rottern timber is as hard as nails in the damaged areas. I then simply added some extra noggins onto the top a bit similar to what you are proposing to do and its all fixed.

http://www.timbermate.com.au/product..._hardener.html
    Last edited by chrise; 16th May 2007 at 11:02 PM. Reason: edit

Thanks for that.

Will give it a go.

Where would you suggest I screw the support beams - below or one side or both sides of the rotten section?

Cheers
    Paul