Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm sure I've seen reference somewhere that 650 is the minimum requirement of cabinet/rangehood over the burner, but perhaps that was in the stove/cooktop manufacturer's literature. At any rate, unless otherwise specified by rangehood/cooktop/stove manufacturer I've been fitting mine at 650, with the rest of the cabinets at 600. So what was the difference in height between the cabinets?

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Mick,

The Flatpax rangehood cabinet has a 600mm height and the rest of the wall cabinets are 720mm. Add the rangehood 40mm to the cabinet= 640mm. So the difference between the two cabinets is 80mm. Now allowing for the height of the burner 30mm this means that my range hood should be sitting at =654mm above the top of the burner (604mm (height above bench of wall cabinet) plus the 80mm difference less the 30mm for height of burner).

Thanks Mick, now I'm glad there's a difference .

I checked a Tasmanian government website (about the only place I could find on the web for information about installations apart from here) that dealt with "Electrical Contractor Service and Installation Guide" and on page 57 and 58 gave details and diagram about the "Restricted zone" which matched the information given by Earl ie "600mm above the hotplates/burners". It also showed a restricted horistonal zone to the sides, of 150mm from the edge of the hotplates (electrical) and 200mm for gas burners. However, for the rear of the burner/hotplate it shows 50mm with the rear wall to be non flammable.

So those Kitchens in the Flatpack photo gallery are probably okay sitting at 604mm above the bench, although I note that you and Earl like it at 650mm and 655mm respectively for gas. Glad I followed the experts .

Cheers

Flynn