Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Re-putty old windows - is just patching up OK?

Hi, My old timber windows are leaking a little when it rains sideways...as it often does in Tassie. Investigations revealed slightly cracked putty on the sides and badly cracked or missing putty at the bottom of the windows.

I know the best thing to do would be to re-glaze each window completely but want to know what I can get away with for a quick and fairly effective job as first child due soon, reno's behind schedule, soon i'll be in the ????...in more ways than one.

Can I remove badly cracked putty around the bottom corners and bottom of windows only, re-putty as per previous threads and just sand and no more gap other putty which has minor hairline cracks? If so, roughly how long could I expect this to last before having to do it again properly?

If not, any other suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks

If you want a really quick and dirty fix, just buy a tube of silicone and run a bead around the inside of each frame where it meets the glass.

Personally I wouldn't bother trying to patch putty as it's likely to look pretty ordinary and may not completely solve your problem. You either need to knock it all out and redo, or replace with a timber bead.

Thanks. I guess it would solve the moisture, but the inside of the windows is pretty good and I was going to just sand and danish oil them, so I guess I really need an outer not an inner fix.

You can just re-putty without taking the window out if the sprigs and bedding putty is ok, yeah?

But you think it's not feasible to only patch up as opposed to completely re-puttying?

Well you can give it a go but I reckon if you're going to do it you should do it properly. Puttying windows is not easy at the best of times and you'll have a hell of a time getting a decent finish with lumps of already hard putty in there.

You could use the silicone on the outside, but it will be harder. I'm just thinking from the point of view that you're up against a tight deadline.

Anyway, you could give it a go with the patching idea, you've got nothing to lose but the time it takes.

Yes, I see your point. It could be pretty hard to get even and could look pretty ordinary.

If I go down the long road, do you think I can leave the window in though and just re-putty the outside without completely refurbishing, given the bedding putty etc. is still holding up ok?