Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Gradeint of access ramp?

I am building my in-laws a small elevated decking, only up about 0.7 M (about 4 X 3 M) out the front of their unit in an already roofed area. As my father-in-law is a bit slow and getting on a bit i need to build a ramp instead of steps. He used to love his gardening and a place to sit and see it will make his life much better. He can walk, well shuffle, is able to navigate steps now but who knows what he will be OK with in the future.
    I need to know what sort of gradient it will need, there will be rails down down both sides and about 0.9 M wide.
    Want to run it off in a straight line in-line with front door as this will make access easier for them, but I am a bit restricted for area for ramp.
    To go this way I will have about 1:9/10 gradient to work with, is this too steep?
    Have been told that wheelchair access has to be 1:12, is this the same for old people ramps?

There's some basic information here:
    http://www.openroad.net.au/access/da...phhandout8.htm
    Cheers
    Rob
    Most people who think know that I'm crazy.

"ramps should be of a gradient required by the AS1428.1, (if over 1250mm in length, 1:14 is acceptable and if below that length, 1:8) whether they be step ramps (usually used to overcome one step only into a door), kerb ramps (usually used as a gutter crossing) or a ramp used to negotiate from one level of a building to another (where it is not practical or cost effective to use a lift)."

-----

Cheers, 1:8.

I'm cooking.

1:8 is a minimum standard, essentially, the less the slope the better.

Here in WA, a wheelchair access ramp has to be 1:14, and a walk-way, 1:12.

There are all kinds of ways that make things easier for the elderly and people with disabilities. Contact you local Disability Services, Senior Citizens or Independent Living Centre for more ideas.

When the local Hunter area health wanted to put one in at the rear of a neighbours home, a (94 year old ) neighbour their specs were 1/12 , as he could still walk with a walker or stick, but that was only to the second of three steps.
    The front only had one step , needless to say it didn't happen , Jack was 94 but still all with it .

Rgds
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

thanks folks

thing is the mother in law would not let me put it the way i wanted to, which would have been 1 in 11, it had to go straight out at 1 in 8

bit concerned about it, put some anti slip pads on each step and good solid rails suited to his grip

the old fella loves it, up and down all day

thing is the mother in law would not let me put it the way i wanted to, which would have been 1 in 11, it had to go straight out at 1 in 8

Jeeze mate, get with the program....

The way the Mother in Law wants it, is EXACTLY the way it should have been done in the first place!!!!

Do you want to spend the next two weeks in the dog-house?

Quote Originally Posted by Spelunx View Post
    Jeeze mate, get with the program....

The way the Mother in Law wants it, is EXACTLY the way it should have been done in the first place!!!!

Do you want to spend the next two weeks in the dog-house?

bad enough kipping with the wife, aint touching her mum