Default My first "serious" website (non-woodwork)

My daughter has just started dancing lessons, and as someone who tries to be an involved parent, I've set up a website for them.

http://www.cathymakindanceacademy.com.au
    or
    http://www.cmda.com.au

I'd be interested in any feedback, and happy to provide info on what I've used to build it, should anyone be interested.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Very impressive Andrew....having just had my first crack at a personal website recently, I must say yours leaves mine in the dust .

Its not really a subject I am particulary interested in, but from the design side of things I am very impressed. I especially like that you have your own little forum and classified sections . Its easy to navigate and is pleasing to look at....top job

One question though... who did you use to register your domains and do your hosting ? Im interested as I will hopefully be moving mine from sludgepond to my own domain soon

Cheers
    BD

Default Hosting etc.

Brown Dog,

I checked whatsinaname.com.au and went with Intaserve as they were cheapest for domain registrations.

My suggestion is to be a bit careful sussing out what names are available, as the day after I registered these domains, "cathymakindanceacademy.com" (not .com.au) was gone! Maybe grab the .com first, then the .com.au if you are after both. The .com.au has a bit more protection around it, whereas anyone can grab anything .com

Hosting is with ServersAustralia.com.au

Not wildly impressed with them...
    You can set up a free domain to start playing, and their pricing is amongst the cheapest. Jumba would be my 2nd choice.

I had quite a few technical issues, which were all eventually resolved, but in each case I believe it was an initial stuffup on their part, which shouldn't have happened. Still, if you've got a bit of nouse, they are worth a look at.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Very impressive site
    loads quickly and easily
    works well
    easy to travel around it and find the pertinent info quickly

cheers
    Wendy

Hi Andrew
    Very nice effort on the website.
    The only change I would suggest is to shorten the red hover bar on the home page so it just overlaps the longest list entry by one space at each end.
    Cheers
    Rob
    Most people who think know that I'm crazy.

Default Ah, the joys of different browsers

Rob,

I agree, but it depends on which browser you're using - things that happen one way in FireFox, happen another way in IE, and different ways in different versions of the same product...

I also noticed that the little favicon image showed up for each item, or didn't, depending on which browser was used.

Cheers,
    Andrew

I see what you mean.
    I usually use IE7 but I just tried Firefox and it all works beautifully.
    Good job.
    Cheers
    Rob
    Most people who think know that I'm crazy.

nice looking website
    keep meaning to make one for a group im in
    Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!

'oges,

I used Drupal (it's a freeware CMS - content management system). I've been pretty impressed at what you get for nothing, and it seems to be a pretty popular option available with cheap/free hosting.

Once set up, you can give different users the ability to add/change/delete info, so you end up with a group of people building the website, not just you.

I did about the first 10 pages, then started pushing the requests back to the business owners, and after they'd done a couple of pages by themselves, they just took off and ran with it.

Cheers,
    Andrew