Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Should I use LVL or Hardwood for my deck?

Hi everyone,

I've had plans drawn up for a couple of decks, on which the draftsman has specified that we use a 150 x 63 LVL Treated bearer and 200 x 45 LVL joists. Now, I'm finding this LVL business quite expensive, and I've been told by a builder to use hardwood instead. I'm awfully inclined to go with what the builder has said, as most of the house is constructed of hardwood, which seems to have fared well since it was built in the 1940's or 1950's.

If I were to use hardwood instead, what sizes should I be using?

Feel free to share your experiences and opinions on using LVL treated pine vs hardwood....

Cheers,
    Lotte

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by LotteBum View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've had plans drawn up for a couple of decks, on which the draftsman has specified that we use a 150 x 63 LVL Treated bearer and 200 x 45 LVL joists.
    Treated for EXTERIOR use or just for pests. Laminated beams are not necessarily good in exterior locations.
    Now, I'm finding this LVL business quite expensive, and I've been told by a builder to use hardwood instead.
    Probably because he is more familiar with hardwood.
    I'm awfully inclined to go with what the builder has said, as most of the house is constructed of hardwood, which seems to have fared well since it was built in the 1940's or 1950's.
    But don't forget that in THOSE days larger pieces of hardwood were more readily available, these days large hardwood timber is harder to get in long lengths. Also. larger hardwood beams WILL be expensive.

If I were to use hardwood instead, what sizes should I be using?
    You should discuss this with the LVL suppliers, but the LVL beams are around 50% stronger than an equvalent hardwood beam. If you are using 200mm joists then (without seening plans or specs) I would expect you would need beams 300 x 70 hardwood beams. Have you considered a steel beam option?

BTW it does seem a little weird that the joists are 50mm higher than the bearers? Have you transposed the measurements? 200x63 bearers and 150x45 joists are more realistic sizes. If not, it sounds like the position of the bearers and joists are wrongly placed?
    Kind Regards

Peter

Check with supplier to see if the treatment is for full external usage or whether they are just external as is a verandah beam which is under a roof...Check whether its H2 or H3 treated and the glue they use... Some manufacturers will ask you cap all the tops and ends with either a flashing or joist cover....

LVL are easier to deal with than hwd as its straighter more regualar in size and easier to fix to...Gather your builder is an older bloke.... Todays hardwood isn't a patch on whats in yolur old house...

cheers utemad

www.dialaddeck.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by UteMad View Post
    Check with supplier to see if the treatment is for full external usage or whether they are just external as is a verandah beam which is under a roof...Check whether its H2 or H3 treated and the glue they use... Some manufacturers will ask you cap all the tops and ends with either a flashing or joist cover....

LVL are easier to deal with than hwd as its straighter more regualar in size and easier to fix to...Gather your builder is an older bloke.... Todays hardwood isn't a patch on whats in yolur old house...

cheers utemad

www.dialaddeck.com.au
    Couldn't agree more. If you ensure the LVL is correctly treated or installed for exterior use, it is far far easier to use than h'wood.

Cheers
    Michael