Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default How to fix the handle on my plane?

I've done a search on this, as I'm sure there's an answer here somewhere, but I just can't find it..!

I've got a Record #4 which I bought 2nd hand in the UK, one of only half a dozen tools I brought with me. It's a great user, but its got a loose handle - the one at the back - I"m sure it's got a name. Anyway its loose, only about 2mm, not enough to stop me using it, but enough to be annoying.

Any ideas what I can do to fix it. I haven't disassembled it yet, as I have a habit of making things worse, and at the moment it does work!

It's the first plane I"ve ever actually got to work! Mainly due to the advice on this forum about sharpening and tuning, although it still has a long way to go, and then there's the no 7, and the spare no 4 1/2.... Always something to do! On the same subject, this forum also inspired me to get a 'real' saw, and I'm damn proud that I've just completed a couple of projects using a Disston and my Record #4.

Cheers, Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rhancock View Post
    I've done a search on this, as I'm sure there's an answer here somewhere, but I just can't find it..!

I've got a Record #4 which I bought 2nd hand in the UK, one of only half a dozen tools I brought with me. It's a great user, but its got a loose handle - the one at the back - I"m sure it's got a name. Anyway its loose, only about 2mm, not enough to stop me using it, but enough to be annoying.

Any ideas what I can do to fix it. I haven't disassembled it yet, as I have a habit of making things worse, and at the moment it does work!

It's the first plane I"ve ever actually got to work! Mainly due to the advice on this forum about sharpening and tuning, although it still has a long way to go, and then there's the no 7, and the spare no 4 1/2.... Always something to do! On the same subject, this forum also inspired me to get a 'real' saw, and I'm damn proud that I've just completed a couple of projects using a Disston and my Record #4.

Cheers, Richard
    Had a similar problem with the tote (rear handle ) on my N0 3 Stanley ,I found the nut in the top of the handle was bottoming out on the threaded rod that goes through the tote to the sole.I had a Stanley screw kit and took two washers from that an placed in the hole in the top of the tote and retightened the nut , now the tote is good and tight.

But there could a few reasons why your tote is loose.,maybe the timber has shrunk a little .
    "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend ,inside a dog it's too dark to read"
    Groucho Marx

I've had similar problems with totes. I've found that if you really have a problem with it and washers and such like don't fix it, you can bog up the inside of the tote with epoxy (tinted if desired - I do) and then re-drill the holes that you need to have. Both the hole all the way through and the counter-sink hole at the top. It is sort of a last resort, but it does work because it provides an excellent seating for the tote and it isn't visible externally either.
    Bob C.

Never give up.

there are two common problems that can cause this.
    As mentioned before, the threaded rod in the tote hold down is too long...... it is perfectly acceptable to grind a bit off the end.
    It is worth while cleaning up the thread while you have it out.

the other is the handle is not bedding on the base...lapping the flat on the base of the handle on some sand paper can fix this.

there is a third problem...... the handle does not fit the plane properly..... more common than you would think....... make a new and funky handle.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Actually soundman that is a very good thought - that third problem that you've mentioned. I've come across a tote that just doesn't fit the plane, and I've gotten around it by changing the shape of the underside of the tote using epoxy to fill and then filing/sanding until I got it right. But making a new tote is an even better idea! Might try that next time.... Use some nice Australian hardwood and make it look nice.
    Bob C.

Never give up.

I did some study on tote geometry some time ago.... it all arc's and angles.

the two most important things are getting the points where the holes come thru the base of the handle correct and the angle of the tote rod.

the centre of the tote rod hole may not be the centre of the tote rod boss.
    You real have to eye up the centres and angles pretty accurately.
    I've also found planes that are not accurately drilled.

different brands have different geometries too.

and the handles on the larger planes (ones with a rod and a screw) is very different to that of the smaller planes (those with only a rod)

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Default An easy fix?

I was talking to my dad about this very thing on Friday. I have a loose handle on my number 5. His answer was fairly simple. Cut a small soft lead sheet to fit under the handle. The lead is soft enough to compress when the thread is tightened.

Cheers,
    Peter