Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Double strength Shellac

Finished a couple of bedside tables this weekend, but stuffed up the shellac.

I used Spnsors Hard Shellac, but forgot to cut with 50% Metho. Thought it seemed a bit gluggy.

3 days later it seemed hard enough to wax, which I did.

Am I likely to see future problems? Will it ever 'set' completely, or is the dilution simply advised for ease of application?
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

I don;t think hardenig is an issue, although I wait a few days before hitting the final coat with EEE so I don't think waxing after a few days is a worry.

Before I got onto the 50% cutting method, I used it full strength without any hardening worries. It was just almost impossible to apply without getting brush marks in it.

Once diluted, no problemo.

Bodgy,
    The metho is used to reduce the viscosity and make it easier to apply,
    The shellac dries by the metho evaporating out of the mixture.
    The shellac starts off as flake or beads and is melted into a liquid by the metho.

All you are doing is placing over the surface so it can return to its hard state.

It will depend on how warm it is how long the metho takes to evaporate out of the shellac, if you wax too soon you will seal off the surface stopping the metho from escaping, you can't let it dry for too long but it is possible to not give it enough time to dry completely.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

This Hard Shellac, not shellac, it displays different characteristics to flakes.
    It is claimed that it takes up to 30 days to cure so it could still be soft, I use a bit of it and dilute at least 3:1 and up to 5:1 and apply more coats, after this I leave it for a week at least before finishing.
    Maybe a bit of a rub down with EEE paste then a wax finish.
    The diluting makes it a lot easier to apply, straight out of the bottle it is like trying to rub contact cement to a smooth finish.
    If it looks OK I would say it is going to be OK and give yourself a pat on the back for managing a smooth finish in such adverse conditions.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Thanks Guys

The finish is fine. More by luck than judgement, I knew you had to dilute the hard shellac, just clean forgot.

It's waxed and polished and the Flooded Gum looks great. Still a bit protective of the tables, no glasses, cans or cups get near them yet.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams