Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Wall framing using battens instead of noggins

Im planning on carrying out renovations to my existing house.

The existing house has quite wide internal and external walls consisting of a approx 70mm stud with a 30mm batten spaced about 300-450mm apart on each side of the side where gyprocked. 150mm wide internal walls when sheeted. None of the walls contain noggins.

I'm a big fan of this as installing extra services down the walls is a total cinch amoung other things - drilling through 3 noggins from the roof to floor level is a bitch if you ever need to make additions to anything. Is this still allowed to done or are noggins a requirment?

Opinions ?

G'day Null,
    It's all in the timber framing manual, hopefully a chippy will help. Noggins must be at maximum 1350mm spacings in all walls, loadbearing or not. They stiffen the wall and allow corrections of bowing in the studs. They can be up to 25mm (I think???) narrower than the wall stud. For example you can use a 70mmx35mm noggin in a 90x45mm wall frame. This allows a 20mm gap between the noggin and the wall sheeting to drop cables.

This means a 2400 or 2700 wall frame needs one row of noggins, anything higher needs more.

Cheers
    Pulse

Thanks, I'll try and source a copy of it - hopefully a free electronic version.

Even though one may be used in the middle - this is where the gyprock sheets will join and I've just read thats to be avoided, even though my resheeted walls are joined over a n existing horizontal baten.

Quote Originally Posted by null & void View Post
    Even though one may be used in the middle - this is where the gyprock sheets will join and I've just read thats to be avoided, even though my resheeted walls are joined over a n existing horizontal baten.
    It's probably fairer to say that it's not recommended than to say it's to be avoided.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

I would think the only reason walls are not battened is cost not strength and possibly the extra wall thickness.

Other than lath and plaster I must admit I have never seen it done.

Dont force it, use a bigger hammer

As far as an electronic version goes, are you a uni student? most unis have electronic licences for students to use...

Cheers
    Pulse