Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tis sad but true that the packaging is sometimes stronger than the article it contains.

Hate'em!

Quote Originally Posted by SC
    My Senco finish nailer, RRP around $500, came in a nice plastic case with a little bottle of oil and a couple of allen's keys with little clip in spots moulded in the case. My Senco framer, RRP around $800 came in a cardboard box!
    That'll be because most framing carpenters are ruffians and second fixers are fussy'assed!

I've even bought a few empty tool cases at garage sales, for tools or tool sets that didn't come with any protection at all, or other garage sale purchases absent cases. I cut away the inner partitions, like others have suggested. Only problem is that with a substantial collection, you don't know what is in what. Labelling would help, but transparent robust plastic would be a treat.

Joe
    Last edited by joe greiner; 13th April 2007 at 10:58 PM. Reason: placed missing word
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHH
    don't start me on excessive packaging.

I don't mind the blow moulded plasitc powertool cases.
    SOME of them are quite good and well thaught about, others are useless.
    I just wish they could all agree on some standard sizes.

I think the view is that they can make a blow moulded carry case for not mich more than it would cost to make a cardboard box, & some sort of insert and then they can tell the customer "And it comes in its own case"

fortunately most of them are recyclable.

Lots of manufacturers are getting paranoid about packing.... I think there may be some.......over the top requirements for the EU too.

What realy grates me is when I do an install
    Disposing of the packing can be a significant cost and inconvienience.
    most of the equipment I get these days is double boxed, then inside there is either a cardboard or worse styro packing pieces, then there is at least 3 plastic bags (1 for the item, at least 1 for the accessories, and 1 for the manual).
    imagine installing an Av system that has 8 components, a rack, 4 large speakers, a projector , 4 speaker bracket, a projector bracket, the carton with all the sundry bits in it,..... and the big one........ a 4 metre electric screen...... that cane end up with over 30 cartons and two of them are over 4 metres long

Oh my god the cardboard......I've come away from an install with the van full to the roof with cardboard.

then you get sneaky suppliers....... they minimise their waste disposal costs by......... stuffing spare space in your shipment with empty plastic bags, bits of paper and cardboard they've hacked off other boxes, backing off rolls of lables and anything short of what their lunch was rapped in.

reuse of flow pack and buble wrap I recon is fair and reasonable & why pay for boxes when you have heaps comming in the door every day, even rapping stuff in yesterdays news is fair & good.
    But I object to my packages being used as a rubish bin.
    AAAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHH

better now. cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Gosh!!??
    Generally we are in agreement.
    I'm off to seek a possible tool box for the Ute among the useless boxes. That'll be one down - I wonder if the others could be used as garden features?

soth

Quote Originally Posted by masoth View Post
    ..............I wonder if the others could be used as garden features?.......................
    Ummm, yeah, fine, no problems, should go real well with those swans made from old tyres.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

My solution to excessive cardbox and foam packaging, that which won't fit in the weeks rubbish/recycling bins, is to take it back to the shop from where purchased and politely suggest to the salesperson that they dispose of it. Never had a knock back, not that it would have done any good.

As to the plastic boxes most go straight into the bin as I have a spot in the workshop for every tool so that they are readily accessable.

Peter.

rrich Guest

It's odd but almost of my plastic cases from tools have hit the rubbish bin. The only exception are the ones for the pin nail gun, brad nail gun and finishing nail gun. They are the only ones that I've kept and use for tool storage.

Funny how this thread made me stop and think. I always use the case for My No 1 drill as the drill is worth a lot to me and worth protecting. The other drill - it was neater to use the case. But the worst case i have is for an hand-me-down old GMC belt sander. That thing just won't go in it's case no matter what way you try. needless to say the case is now broken and more of a pain than before.

So I guess I'd be keeping some of the packing cases and maybe not others, depending on how valuable the tools are and how easy it is to use the case.

cheers
    Wendy

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

My pop riveter has a wonderful case full of spares and different adaptors, pity it won't shut with the air plug (?) on as it protrudes about 3/4" upwards.
    My Stanley socket set has a place for every little part on each side of the case but the handle is only on one half, over the years the clips have fallen off and I still pick up the box to have it fly open and ditribute sockets under every inaccessable part of the shed
    Apart from that I use the cases to keep the dust out except for the drill which is a PITA to pull down to fit.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Aaah, GMC. The case that keeps working long after the tool has died.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

G'day,

I throw the junk out, only after making sure the thing works first in case I have to return it.

My 185mm AEG CS is kept in a plastic box with all it's stuff, the 4" angle grinder inc. all the various cut off wheels is kept in a tidy box with all it's stuff, so too is the 7" grinder wheels etc. but the grinder is too big for a box so it sits on top of it's box of bits, the 18v Dewalt cordless s/driver is kep in it's plasic box (be mad to hoik it), I've kept the plastic box for the Makita corded s/driver, but I don't know why as it sits on the Dewalt box.

Generally I thow out the garbage packing, the only exection to this is the boxes to my Macs, HD Mac screen, printers and scanner - they have a better resell if you keep the packaging I find.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au