Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Fly Screen Doors

Hi All

I have a couple of sets of double french doors to put in. I understand that being external they can be installed to open inwards or outwards, however it is more common for them to open out?

I also intend to install fry screen doors, in which case maybe it would look better to have the doors open inwards and the screens open out. That way when you look out through the doors the screens are not as obvious.

Any comments or experiences on this?

G'day OB,

I have never seen external doors that opened outward (except flyscreens). I don't think they can be well-secured that way.
    Cheers,

Bob

OB, My front door opens inwards but my rear door which is a bi-fold opens outwards which is a bit of a PITA with the fly screen door having to be open before you can open the door proper -if that makes sense.
    I would go inwards opening if practical.

Hi

As attached it appears you can get door sills for open out or open in doors (see bottom of page). I have previously installed doors onto a deck that opened out, which worked great because they foled right back against the house and you didn't see them when looking out into the garden. However I went without fly screens there.

The other option is the retractable flyscreens ... but I'm still a little unsure about them.

OB if you want your french doors to open outwards then your flyscreen will have to be on the inside. I think if you have the distance from the door to a wall you would be best with a retracting/sliding setup for the screen.

Friends have french doors opening outwards in their place. They installed sliding flyscreens on the inside. But they have large fixed windows on either side, which gives the screens somewhere to go, instead of sliding over the walls. Not even sure how you would do that because they normally sit inside the door jamb. Would look odd I think. Might be better to put up with the flies...

I was actually referring to the retracting screens that roll up into a tube on each side of the door jamb. See www.flyfree.com.au.

OK, yes, I have seen them. Trying to remember where. Don't have a fond memory for some reason. I think it was on a window, rolling from the top, and the rail had gotten stuck sideways - couldn't open or close it.

They are on a spring loaded roller. The sides aren't framed, just some sort of tape I think, which slides in the side channels and allows it to roll up. They are opened and closed by means of the aluminium rail which is fixed to the end of the screen and it rides in the track on either side.

So if I use the 'opening in' profile then I would also need to add weather seals of some sort because you on't have the lip that is on the 'open out' version. Is that correct or is there a way around this?

I don't have them on any of my exterior doors, which all open inwards. The sills have a weather strip, which is bit of aluminium flat bar let in so about 5mm protrudes above the sill. But all my doors are under a 2 metre deep verandah roof. I rebated the bottom of the doors to make sure there was no air gap. They seal well and haven't had any draft.

Gents:

My brother in-law solved the problem of what to do with screens on bi-fold doors -- but it cost a bit.

Basically, he had bi-fold doors installed "backwards", i.e. folding inwards. The installers simply had to reverse the plastic weather strip. While this is not quite as ideal as for outward folding doors, it seems to be doing fine (mind you, the doors are under a deck roof).

Then, he had a second set of bi-fold doors, with crimsafe inserts, installed in the normal way, i.e. folding outwards. Both sets of doors are 4.5 m wide and I think, from memory, that there are six doors each. He has an access door through the glass and through the crimsafe security screens, so he can walk through with a minimum of fuss.

The beauty of this system is that he can completely open the glass doors (they stack flat against his living room wall, enjoy some open air, but still have complete security and bug-free living. Then, at will, he can open up the whole thing for parties, etc., and the outward doors stack up against the balustrading.

It works magnificently -- but again at a cost.
    Warm Regards, Luckyduck

Quote Originally Posted by OBBob View Post
    I have a couple of sets of double french doors to put in. I understand that being external they can be installed to open inwards or outwards, however it is more common for them to open out?

I also intend to install fry screen doors, in which case maybe it would look better to have the doors open inwards and the screens open out. That way when you look out through the doors the screens are not as obvious.
    We have 4 sets of french doors which all open outwards. One set has a pair of flyscreens which slides on a track on the inside side the doors and hides behind extra wide curtains on each side (which wouldn't work if you had windows next to your doors). This set of doors also has parliament hinges which allow the doors to open flat against the house (a parliament hinge is just an extra long hinge so that the pin is further out than normal).

I've seen those retractable fly screens on TV but as I remember they were expensive, and looking at your link, they are. You might consider putting them on one door and not the other.

Can you afford to lose the space that in your rooms that doors opening inwards would take up (or conversely have you the space outside for them to open)? In my house, I wouldn't consider having them open inwards for space reasons. I reckon the weatherproofing on a door opening out is better than one opening inwards.

As to security, opening in or out is not going to make a difference. Because they are double doors, you need to either have lockable patio door bolts on one or both doors, or concealed bolts (that can only be opened when the other door is open) on one door and a lock on the other.

Finally, I reckon it is more "normal" to have French doors open outwards.