Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  1
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default locateing support brackets for 200 mm posts in brissy

2, u style or t style galv post support brackets for 6 m high 200 mm hwd posts are required. big gee dont have anything, and its a classy job i dont want to b useing my grinder to modify an existing bracket....can anyone suggest where i can get something b4 i go down the road of custom manufacture/waiting for the galv process?......russ

AFAIK a 200mm bracket for a 6 metre high post doesn't come off the shelf. There's not that much call for them. I'd say if you were installing something that big, it would have to be engineered and certified.

If you're buying chunks of hardwood that size then you've obviously got some $ anyway. (not to mention the crane you'll need to get them in place)

Russ,
    use a pair of fishplates, one a side. You see this used quite often on the verandah posts of pubs.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post
    Russ,
    use a pair of fishplates, one a side. You see this used quite often on the verandah posts of pubs.

Mick
    That's an interesting post there Mick. I've seen brackets made up before but I'll have to keep these fish plates in mind. I haven't come across a situation where I'd need them yet, but you never know what the future may bring.

Can you just buy them off the shelf?

John,
    coomon as dirt in hardware stores around here, but judging from the number of times I've been asked what they are they may not be as universal as I thought. Possibly they're a north Qld or cyclone area thing, I don't know. Besides a week in Melbourne helping on a friends renovation before her wedding I've never worked anywhere other than in NQ.

Mick

- Henry Ford 1938

Thanks for the tip. I've never seen them in any hardwares down here and all google came up with (apart from railway connectors) was this. I don't think they'll help russ too much though.

common in Brissie too, those fishplates. I have seen big posts mounted on stirrups that fit into a deep cross, cut into the endgrain. Not an off-the -shelf item tho, I think.

CHeers
    Michael

I cant recall ever seeing them for sale either.
    Youre right about stirrups being a PITA as far as lateral movement goes.

I guess that to set the plates in, you fix a squared off cut between so you can get them level & plumb? Then brace under the offcut to get your height.

Those stirrups that you mentioned Michael that go into the end grain I wouldn't trust. I just went to a job where they had the the solid stud type stirrups that go up in the endgrain and all the posts need replacing. I'd say that they were 10 year old max.

Default Fish Plate pics

Next chance I have, I'll take a photo of a fish plate and post it to this thread (and the other one) so people will know what we're talking about and what to hassle their local hardware store for.

Mick

- Henry Ford 1938

Russ34,

I would ring Virginia Building Supplies as they stock the Big Gee T blade Sturrips, get the HDG200600 which means Hot Dip Galv 200 sq with a 600 long leg.

If you get stuck ring Mitch at Tradeware Timber & Hardware on New Cleveland Rd in Capalaba, i know they have some custom made ones but expensive.

I wonder if Big Gee does not have them because your not a retailer?
    Where are you gettting your posts from?

Good tip there groovemachine. They've got fishplates there as well.

Default Fish plate piccies

I thought I'd go to Bunnies and take some pictures of fish plates, including the barcode numbers so that people elsewhere could order them in. They're a very commonly used item around here so I figured they'd carry them. Wrong! Seems like they take a "one-size-fits-all" approach to their stock, possibly why they sell those big TCT handsaws up here for cutting Hebel blocks even though there's probably not a hebel block building within 500km .

So I went to a real hardware store and got a couple of odd looks as I laid a fish plate on the ground and used my phone to snap a couple of pics. And no, they don't come in pink, that's just the crappy quality you get from using a phone camera.

Mick

- Henry Ford 1938

Sorry Guys gave you a bum steer on that code its TBHD200600H
    Big Gee has 35 in stock.

thanks all, i ended up useing the specificly engineered 10 mm thick gal big gee complete with the stupid looking attachment for the base of it...approx 160-170 bucks each!!! for those curious, dont bother checkin their website. they dont list that particular item....i will try to draw a pic of it and get it in here later