Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Dogs aren' that much of a deterrent
    Depends on the dog.
    Mine would be chewing on some bones.

My late mum-inlaw had steel security doors fitted back and front. they both had one way view screen in them that you couldn't cut with an angle grinder 3 or 4 pins on the hinge side of the door went into the frame and basically stopped it from being able to be jimmied open.

It was fitted with a central deadlock and locked the house up like an impenetrable fortress. The one way mesh allowed for really good air flow and also allowed for you to see quite clearly everything that was outside but even with a light on inside on the darkest night it was almost impossible to see inside.

Our main problem came later on when she got dementia and kept on forgetting where she put the key (one key fitted all doors and window locks). This was overcome by supergluing the key into the lock. Our main fear was that in a fire she wouldn't be able to get out. Never worried about her locking up as this was a compulsion.

I am about to get a SmartLink Medical Alarm for my parents, wish I had known about these things and been able to afford one years ago for the Ma-inlaw, would have saved lots and lots of headaches. There is also a personal security thing you can get that has GPS locating and emergency call etc, so no matter where you are it can track you down and send help. do a Google for SmartLink, ins lifeguard, and yes sos gps

Cheers - Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Thanks Neil, will check it out, at the moment I'm waiting on information on the "medi-alert" system.

This appears to work on a monitored phone line but only while the person is in the house or within 50-100m of the receiver - my main concern here at the moment is, - I'm led to believe that the company installs a "mode 3" plug and receiver box which kills all other phone sockets except the one it is in - a dedicated line is a good idea but not if it locks out all other phones. Looking at daisy chaining a phone system before the plug goes into the wall.

Regards,
    Bob