Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Removing Floor Tiles From Yellow Tongue Sheeting

Previous owner has tiled straight onto yellow tongue floor sheeting.

Would like to remove the tiles and potentially go over the top with T&G hardwood flooring.

Any ideas to lessen work and damage to surface ? Or am I doomed to replace the whole floor ?

Thanks

I'll let you know tomorrow. I'm having the "professionals" do the job at my place, simply because it is a huge job and I don't have the time or inclination to do it myself - not to mention the ability to get 2 tonnes of broken tiles to the dump.

I tested an area, and it seems that a rotary hammer drill with a broad chisel would easily break the seal between the tile and the yellowtongue without destroying the floor - although it may depend on what type of adhesive was used.

Regards

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Pantherx View Post
    Previous owner has tiled straight onto yellow tongue floor sheeting.

Would like to remove the tiles and potentially go over the top with T&G hardwood flooring.

Any ideas to lessen work and damage to surface ? Or am I doomed to replace the whole floor ?

Thanks
    Kanga gun/Jackhammer with a pointy type of blade inserted. Don't worry too much about damaging the particle board as the new flooring will hide it. Any left over adhesives will most likely need to be sanded off.

Well, they've lifted the tiles (didn't take long at all with a big AEG electric jackhammer and a 4" blade) and now they're sanding off the glue. With all the noise going on, I'd say that the sanding is the harder part of the process, and not something that I would have been able to do myself. There's masonite going over the yellowtounge, so I guess it doesn't need to be too well finshed.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Regards

Scott