Default Frame and truss storage

I have just received delivery of our timber wall trusses and roof frames. The frames will be put up within 2 weeks and the trusses within 3. We live in a very windy area and I am finding it difficult to keep tarps on them.

How important is it to keep the timber covered for this length of time?

Quote Originally Posted by Wassy View Post
    I have just received delivery of our timber wall trusses and roof frames. The frames will be put up within 2 weeks and the trusses within 3. We live in a very windy area and I am finding it difficult to keep tarps on them.

How important is it to keep the timber covered for this length of time?
    I'm about to join you in this challenge too and have found quite a bit of info on the net on various googled responses to "Trusses" and storage of them .
    One thing that bothers me is warrantee in your stuation if left in the weather. Could they be put flat on some timbers with plastic under on the ground with more plastic then corrugated iron with bricks and rocks on top? Could even screw corri to them .
    "World's oldest kid"

Hi there, I would say the most important thing is to keep them flat ... because in terms of weather they will most likely sit outside for months before the roof is on and its all clad up.

If you are more effcient than that ... just look at how long bulider leave frames whilst they are off doing other projects.

Also, not for example, the yellow tongue flooring specs say not to cover it once it is layed because you are more likely to do damage by gettign trapped moisture under the plastic than if it rains then dry over and over (note - 3 month limit though).

Just my thoughs ... however if you are in a coastal area the concerns may be different.

yep spose, but can you imagine what happens to those gang-nail plates when cycled thru a couple of dozen wet/drys. Wouldnt feel good putting them on my roof.
    Spoke to one mob who filled me in on how they're made and he reckons they are actually made with curvature built-in, so when put under load they settle straight, they are made on a machine that pre-bends wood and wacks on plates. True ---- dunno
    Must say though they tend to spend a long time in the weather on some jobs. Saw one lot Near here just dumped with end up on a pack of yellow tongue for about two weeks. Now up on roof, looks straight from two storeys down on ground But.......
    Yellow-t has a coating on it specifically for that purpose.
    A bit of effort put in helps you sleep at night, ask the manufacturer.
    Bob - off topic - did you get your tiles done? how'd it go?
    "World's oldest kid"

Wassy,
    A few ideas thrown around, the main thing is to keep them flat, don't get a twist in them especially the roof trusses. The walls are fairly easy to stack on top of one another, however the trusses especilly if its a hip and valley roof are a bit more difficult. Andrew patrol mentioned bends put in trusses, his story is partially right but not all together, the bottom chord of your truss will have a camber or slight curve that will straighten out once your roof is loaded with iron or tiles; the actual camber allowed is not great usually around 40 mm.The theory of trusses is that they are not load bearing on any internal walls, the weight of the roof is the external walls only.

Cheers,
    Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewPatrol View Post
    yep spose, but can you imagine what happens to those gang-nail plates when cycled thru a couple of dozen wet/drys. Wouldnt feel good putting them on my roof.
    Spoke to one mob who filled me in on how they're made and he reckons they are actually made with curvature built-in, so when put under load they settle straight, they are made on a machine that pre-bends wood and wacks on plates. True ---- dunno

Fair enough ... glad I don't have trusses or gang nails then (although I'd be finished by now if I sdid) !!

Bob - off topic - did you get your tiles done? how'd it go?
    Give me a chance ! I'm moving at about 1/2 a day a week at the moment. Seriously though ... gutters are up ... scaffold on ... hopefully very close. You?

Thanks for all the advice. The trusses where craned off of the truck and left tied up in their "packs" I put some timber under them and have covered them best I could with tarps. I must admit to seeing trusses lying around......

nearly got the permit and almost settled on which windows, trusses reblocker, roofer, plumber. Steel beams (wifes work) cheap - Yehaa. Just finalising project in my head and deciding which bit to attack first. Psyching up family ( probably really me )
    D-day is near. Hard bit is going to be juggling paid work and this, but I guess cant tell you much about that.
    "World's oldest kid"

Good stuff ... I don't know how much you intend to do and how much you will get people in for but it certainly takes all your spare time! The roof is the first thing that I have had any help whatsoever on, so it has been an interesting process ... especially wirth the form of construction I went with.