Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: job knockback

Default job knockback

As i am facing redundancy in a few months,so i started applying for jobs out in the real world and got my first rejection letter today.
    At least the company was courteous enough to send me an email as i imagine lots of places dont even bother with that.
    i am lucky that i am in no rush to get a job but it is a reality check when you get a knock back
    thanks for listening i feel better now
    thats why i like this forum you can write what you want and know that some one will make a comment sooner or later
    greg

Hope it doesn't get to you Greg.

There was a period there where unemployment would get to me. Pride, and all sorts of things.

Currently I'm working just 3 days a week out on this farm, debarking stumps....diggin strainers.....brushcutting etc. I'd never thought I'd be doing that to make a buck. However I did get a little commission job the other day.

looking to stay in the train business ?

Keep at it Farm Boy, If you want to work you will find it.
    Cheers,

Howdya

Proudly supporting research into the therapeutic benefits of the Friday Thread

I've been on the wrong side of the job hunt a couple of times (my choice to leave a job/change countries etc) , and at the time it is hard to remain positive. Each time things worked out for me, and looking back I think it does you good. No-one should take their job for granted, which one always ends up doing.
    The only way to get rid of a [Domino] temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

.....so go4it people!

thanks guys
    It hasnt got to me yet but it is a reality check

jake,if i go back driving trains i may look around early next year as the drought is even effecting the train driver employment situation

the wife isnt worried so if she is ok about it i am
    i am like you jake a few days a week would suite me as the wife works 2 days a week aswell
    greg

I never had the luxury of a few months' warning. But on my first layoff, I was on a new job before my 2 weeks severance was up, including job interview and relocating from Seattle WA to Long Beach CA (about 1600km). Next move was voluntary (even tho the CA job was OK), back to Seattle. On my second layoff, I didn't panic; just took my own sweet time, moved from Seattle to Tallahassee (lots of km). Third layoff, I stayed in TLH. Key in all these situations was contacts and networking. Let all your mates know your situation. Include old chums from school, professional/trade comrades, etc.

Good to know you at least got feedback. Applications often seem to just go into a black hole.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Hi Greg, Like Joe I didn't get the luxury of any warning at all when I got the flick from my job just 2 weeks ago .........the 4 employees of the company were just called into the boss's office on Monday morning and we were told the company is totally restructuring and the sevices of 3 of us was no longer required ....a big kick in the guts at 53 years of age after being in the job for over 10 years.... so its the long slog again (this is the fourth time I've been retrenched due to company restructures)looking for something else now. Already have 3 rejections under my belt and I've only been looking for one and a half weeks ...ah well as some famous bushranger once said "such is life!!" my only advice is "onward and upward"

Bryon

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

At least you're getting rejections Byron. The drill here seems to be not to reply at all. 50? Too old, they don't even consider you.

Richard

Farm boy.
    Where the hell is floraville?
    Are you prepared to move?
    What can you do?

PM if you want to have a yarn.
    Last edited by glock40sw; 21st February 2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: bloody fingers don't type what the brain thinks
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton