Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Hand Rubbing Polyurethane

Made doors for a bathroom vanity, stained them and applied a high gloss polyurethane(5 coats). The problem is can't get rid of the dust nids and the doors look bad since it's high gloss. Throught of hand rubbing the polyurethane but can't get the same 'shine'. Only waited 2 days before rubbing with 400/600/1200 sand papper, Pumice and rottenstone. Is it possible to get the same 'gloss' by rubbing? How long do I have to wait before starting the process ? Is Minwax Polyurethane (fast drying) can be rubbed? Or is there a way to eliminate those dust nibs and not have to rub the finish?

thank you in advance

Marcel

I am not sure that Polyurethane is suited to buffing as I would assume that it is normally a bit soft.

I think if you want to rub it down, then I would leave it much longer than 2 days. Give it at least 7 days (at temps above 20 deg Cel) to cure and harden. I have seen people rub with fine abrasives then apply a wax to give a shine to varnished items, though perhaps that wont have the same gloss that you are after.
    Semtex fixes all

Ive rubbed back polyeurathane but in between coats & i got better results with the random orbit than with wet & dry by hand.
    I did however recoat after with thinned product most times.

I did once or twice rub back then buff with wax for a low sheen.

poly is a real pain & not co-operative for fine finishing. nex time tri precatalised lacer.

what took you a week in poly will take you a day.

Poly can be greatly improved by rubbing with our EEE-Ultra Shine . Cut the final surface with 800 or 1200 wet and dry then use the EEE it will give a really high shine and eliminate a lot of the problems.

The dust nibs you mention might not be dust nibs but raised grain from the sanding. Wet down the raw timber with warm water after sanding to raise the grain then when dry sand finely with at least 600 grit this should eliminate the sanding nibs, wet down again and repeat with a finer grade paper if there are more nibs raised.

This should give you the perfect base to build your finish on and will eliminate a lot of the problem. If you have done the above and still have problems then maybe you should look for a slightly more dust free environment to apply your finish.

Sanding between coats will definitely help especially if done with a random orbital sander as Soundman suggests. Do this quickly or you could ruin the finish by putting too much heat and pressure on the surface. Don't allow the abrasive to clog with the poly or you will put nasty marks on the work. If it starts to clog immediately replace it with another sheet.

After the second coat is applied allow it do dry for a few days preferably as long as a week or more if possible, and sand quickly and lightly to remove and brush marks and dust nibs then use EEE as a final finish. You should be truely amazed.

Available in Canada through Black Forest Wood Co, Calgary 1-877-686-6061 or from Penn State Industries (PSI) Philadelphia USA 1-877-774-5431

Cheers - Neil
    56 Rock n Roll rebel....... Too old to die young and too young to be an old fart. Guess I'll just keep on rockin' and refuse to grow old gracefully.

Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!