Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default AutoCAD Standards and Cheat Sheet

Just after a bit of input from those that you CAD regularly.

I am currently setting up a series of CAD templates for use with school students and am wondering if there is a sort of industry standard in regards to the colours used for the different types of lines eg. outlines, hidden detail, centre lines, dimensions etc. I would like to have the templates similar to what would be used in industry if possible.

Also does anyone have what they consider a good cheat sheet of the commands of AutoCAD 2004? I know that I could type one up but honestly I have a lot to do in the next week and I won't have the time before I need it.

Thanks to anyone that can help!
    Have a nice day - Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Butcher View Post
    Just after a bit of inout from those that you CAD regularly.

I am currently setting up a series of CAD templates for use with school students and am wondering if there is a sort of industry standard in regards to the colours used for the different types of lines eg. outlines, hidden detail, centre lines, dimensions etc. I would like to have the templates similar to what would be used in industry if possible.

Also does anyone have what they consider a good cheat sheet of the commands of AutoCAD 2004? I know that I could type one up but honestly I have a lot to do in the next week and I won't have the time before I need it.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Mate I do have a list of commands for ya if you want. I don't use the mouse much trying to find commands it is too much of a waste of time and I have basically memorised most commands so I can fly through the work pretty quick. It is only the most used commands that I use and I do have a range of scale templates drawn up in A3 and A4 ready to print so u don't have to stuff around trying to get the scale right. I don't have any colour standards though but I think centre lines are green dimensions are blue and hidden lines are red. Not sure what else though. I don't normally use the colours that much only to distinguish different parts ect. Let me know if you want them and I'll email em to ya

Cabbie,

Thanks heaps, I'll PM you my email address
    Have a nice day - Cheers

I haven't used CAD, but google turned up this if it's of any interest: -
    UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, SYDNEY CAD DRAWING STANDARDS

http://www.fmu.uts.edu.au/policies/D...dP-ST01.06.pdf

HTML version here: -
    http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&cd=11

I'm several years out of engineering consultancy, so things have likely changed a bit. The trend of including CAD files with contract packages continues to increase. In fact, most of Frank Gehry's structures have required CAD files to drive some of the fabrication equipment. (I think he uses Catia, though.)

Pawnhead's link is only one example of client-driven standards. Most large gummint or industry clients have their own standards. At the outset of each of our projects, the chief draftie established templates specific to that project. These could include not only layering and colours, but also standard borders, xrefs permitted or not, etc. In the absence of such standards or submittal requirements, different offices generally have their own standards. Your best bet is likely to establish your own template(s), using available standards as examples. Note in your lectures the likelihood of differences among clients, and the fact that different projects may require adjustment.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Pawnhead - thanks for the link. I had done a search but never came across that.

Joe - some very valid points that I will definately keep in mind!
    Have a nice day - Cheers