Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Feast and Watson Buffing Oil Query

Over 12 months ago I started building a clock case out of cedar. After I finished assembling the case I went to Bunnings to discuss finishes. They advised two coats of F&W Fungishield with a colour tint (cedar) followed by 3 coats of F&W Satinproof. I duly followed their advice making sure I gave the timber a light sand with 1200 grit between coats. I am now at the final stage of finishing. Bunnings recommended that I use F&W Fine Buffing Oil. However, I see the instructions call for it to be applied on top of the poly with either a nylon scouring brush or 0000 steel wool. My questions is: Is this really the best way to apply the product to cedar with three coats of poly. Or should I apply an alternate finish on top of the poly? Incidentally the clock case has fluted columns and some decorative plywood carvings which has made the sanding efforts quite a challenge. Any advice would be gratefully received.

PS After finding this site I am now aware of alternate (better?)approaches to finishings other than the advice from Bunnings. I wish I'd thought to look sooner on the Internet.

My next project is to polish up some old huon pine oars to hang outside on the house. Any suggestions regarding finishes to this timber would also be appreciated.

Thanks

I'd suggest you get a copy of Neil's Polisher's Handbook. You won't regret it.