Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: internal wall

Question internal wall

I have a 6ft doorway that I want to turn into a wall, where do I start? Can someone help me out? I know basic wood working from my school days but have never done any structual work before. Are the studs 600mm apart on an internal wall. What sort & size timber should I use how do I attach the frame to the wooden floor, should i nail or bolt it, should i attach new frame to already plastered wall or remove plaster before nailing frame at ends?any help would be great.

Welcome Patto, I think Gyprock have a DIY sheet called "covering a doorway".

The steps:

remove architraves and door jamb. This will expose the studs on either side of the opening. They will be either 70 or 90mm wide. Nail some similar studs to the jamb studs and one in the middle of the door. Fix a bottom plate to the floor with nails. Line with gyprock and tape and finish with plastering basecoat and topcoat.

Cheers
    Pulse

Because the doorway is already structurally sound, all you are doing is hiding the gap. It doesn't really matter what you do - just as long as it looks OK. Pulse's suggestion is spot on.
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

Thanks guys,
    Your info is great. I'm starting out easy & will progress to other jobs around my new home (reno delight).

Can anyone tell me if I need to do a course to project manage the building of an extension (in victoria), you know get quotes from Plumbers sparkies etc, and the odd bit of work here & there?

You can save a bit of timber if you cut the gyprock down the centre of the existing studs at the side and the head with a Stanley knife. If you hit any nails just punch them in. When you nail the new sheet, nail the old sheet as well if you’ve punched a nail in that spot.