Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Cordless Tool Charger Controller

Further to the thread on battery failure in cordless tools
    http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=42896

There is now a kit available for the charger controller from Jaycar.

www.jaycar.com.au
    Cat # KC-5436
    Costs $39:95

For your info

Regards,
    Noel

A bit of caution though, the project needs a programmable IC. If you can't burn a 16F88 ask if the kit is pre-programmed, or any other options that are available. Otherwise you'll have to buy a pic burner as well, along with sourcing the software to drive it all...

G'day Malibu,
    The dude I spoke to at Jaycar on Friday said that the chip was pre-programmed with
    "CHRGCONST.ASM"

Hope he's not telling porkies!

regards,
    Noel

Thanks Noel,

A good move to make it a new thread. I will certainly check it out and if the ic program is right, will give it a go - have just purchased a "lower end" 14.5 cordless drill with two batteries - it will be interesting to see how long they last with a controlled charge.

Cheers,

Ned

I hope it works too...I've ordered one on line so as soon as it arrives I'll report in.
    It would make my life easier....as for one mate I removed the batteries and wired a connector to his drill so he could use his Jump Start.
    Now there's a constant flow of blokes wanting their drills wired up!!

Regards,
    Noel

No worries then, Noel. I thought I'd mention it, just in case!
    I'd hate for forumites to get all keyed up and do a great job on the new charger only to pull their hair out because it has no program!
    Jaycar are pretty good... it's the way Dick Smith stores used to be: the blokes at the counter are usually enthusiasts so they have an incling as to what they're talking about. It's a pity Tricky-Dicky has lost that edge (in my opinion, anyway)
    I look forward to your report on the charger controller!
    John

A few more thoughts on batteries.

I have seen reference to re-packing battery packs but so far no actual experience of anybody trying to do it themselves. I have looked inside my 14.5 volt packs (el-cheapo Ozito) and there are just 12 x 1.2v batteries - look about like 'c' size - inside.

Has any body tried re packing their own??? I have been advised that the only battery to put in that will last is Sanyo first, then maybe Panasonic. Only problem I see is that the battery connectors seem to be spot welded to each battery in series, therefore they would probably have to be soldered - hence next question, will soldering the connectors to each end of the new batteries cause too much heat and therefore damage???

Just thinking that the re-packers do it somehow, and charge like wounded bulls for the service, it isn't exactly rocket-science, but there must be a way of doing it with reasonable safety at home. I don't know how much they charge for the actual individual batteries, but I have been quoted anywhere between $105 and $75 to have mine repacked with Sanyo batteries.

So far mine are holding out with careful timing with the original charger - I have ordered the Jaycar smart charger kit which is due in early Feb, so that should lengthen the battery life even further, but down the track I know I will have to get better batteries.

Any thoughts, ideas, experiences, or "you cheapskate" comments?????

Cheers,

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    ...www.jaycar.com.au
    Cat # KC-5436
    Costs $39:95
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    I hope it works too...I've ordered one on line so as soon as it arrives I'll report in......
    I ordered one online with 3 other items last week, the other items arrived, the KC-5436 is out of stock til further notice.
    The Jaycar flyer turned up in the package with the order & the KC-5436 is featured on the front page.... bit of a marketing muck up.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Repacking most cordless battery packs, in my opinion is a waste of time.
    Yep I have done it, but.
    For common or popular tools the quality after market packs are a better and often cheaper option.
    Yep Sanyo cells are most certainly the way to go.... they are out on their own with fast charge technology.

If you are to repack you need to purchase tagged cells.
    The major battery suppliers that make up packs spot weld all the connections which gives a better job.

the biggest problem with doing the job youself with tagged cells is keeping everything insulated and getting it back in the pack.

I did some makita packs ages ago.... too much trouble.

There are various after market packs available for most of the popular brands. many there is a choice of upgraded packs.

as for the cheaper tools...... the tool is cheaper than a good quality set of cells..... thats whay the battery packs are so crappy.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

A mate got some re-pack Makita batteries - I was in his shop the other day & saw one in bits - the end had come off & the cells were everywhere I decided not to ask him what had happened, or where he got them from as he probably didn't need any more aggro.

I experience reflects SOundy's perzaacterly.
    Boring signature time again!

Default Replacement Battery Packs

There are currently good x-mas prices at

http://www.battery-charger.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post
    There are currently good x-mas prices at

http://www.battery-charger.com.au/
    thanks, nice website and good prices.

"Hey Zed, they've got heaps of Bosch batteries."
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Default power tool batteries

The only way to replace power tool batteries is with new ones. There is an aftermarket batts avalible at about half price that seem to work ok, but there's no subitute for genuine batteries for relyability and back up service from major companies

kind regards

Ian