Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default DVD backup problems

Just a quick question for the computer boffins:

I have burnt a dvd full on MP3's for backup purposes. The disk has about 20 folders and then there are folders in those folders.

After burning the disk takes about 5 minutes to display through "my computer", it then slows everything else down and basically crashes. When it finally does display I can click onto folders to display their contents but again it is slow. I have never done a back up to a dvd so is this what I should expect?

I have burnt the dvd twice and had the same problem. The disk was burnt through NTI Cd and DVD maker 7 which came with the laptop.

My dream was to convert about 100 cd roms into a more managable number of dvds but if they don't open up then there is no point.

Thanks for your help.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

No, that's not normal behaviour.

Either the DVD isn't being written properly, (maybe incorrect settings in the SW?) there's a lowlevel driver/hw problem or a sw conflict... if you're using WinXP, try disabling the autorun function for Audio DVDs.

Helpful, aren't I?

The obvious approach is to see if you can borrow a DVD full of MP3s from someone else, that is known to work OK on their 'puta. If it still plays up on yours, time to roll up the sleeves and do some serious delving.

If it works OK... try using dfferent SW. Nero Burning (a recent version, with DVD support) and see if that burns a usable copy. If not, it may be time to look at replacing the burner...
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Quote Originally Posted by Skew ChiDAMN!! View Post
    If not, it may be time to look at replacing the burner...
    Hopefully the burner should be ok ..... It has just been replaced under warranty and hasn't done any work yet. The burning software was pre-loaded with the laptop so perhaps I should replace it with Nero.

I assume that the pc would take longer to display the contents of a dvd as apposed to a cd but it shouldn't be as bad as it is ..... hang on the Stinkette has bought home a spanking new Mac laptop so I will try on that and see what happens.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Bugger ..... it seems to run without a problem on the mac book.

If the DVD runs ok on another PC, look at the settings for the IDE channel that the DVD burner is connected to. Look in Control panel/System/hardware. Then look at the Advanced Settings for the IDE channel in question. Make sure it says "Ultra DMA 2" (or similar). Not PIO mode. That will slow everything to buggery. If it is on "PIO mode" and you cant change it, try removing the DVD from the system (not physically, in the Hardware settings), then reboot. The PC should autodetect the DVD and set it up correctly.

This is all assuming you are running Win XP.

Eddie.

Yep Win Xp on an Acer Laptop .... I will play around and see what I come up with. Disabling the auto play has helped a little but still not 100% acceptable.