Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Outdoor Area Advice

Hi Folks,

I've got a roughly triangular area paved badly at the moment (see pics). I'd like to deck it with some TP as it's just for bbq and storage, out of sight from the main house. However the missus doesn't want decking. We've talked about chips, better paving but I still think a low decking is the go. Any other thoughts or advice?
    Help ma boab, the bairns goat it awe wrang!

Forgot to sat, I want to keep the path but deck the outlined area

Hoots remember the KISS rule.
    ie stick with paving. As a rule try to import as few new elements as posible in a small area. Repave the whole area, and have the cut pavers on the outside ( excluding your header course). Just my opinion.

I agree with Bleedin thumb, especially if its only an out of sight storage area
    Jack

The deck would need a step up. Flush paving would make moving anything in or out much easier. I suggest using the pavers.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Hmm,

I'd need to get a pro in for the pavers i think. I was keen for deck as I could have a crack at that myself. The step up would only be 60-70mm as I p[lanned to put the bearers straight onto the ground. Any other thoughts. My old man lives in the UK and chips are big there and he reckons they are great. They use them for drives etc. Don't see them much in Oz though

If you're considering putting the wood directly on the ground, you might as well go deeper and make the top flush with the path. Just make sure to slather each piece well (2 or 3 coats) with wood preservative (copper naphthenate) at ALL surfaces after final shaping. Even with that, you'll likely get no more than about ten years' survival.

The only problem I see with stone or concrete (or whatever) pavers is cutting the bevels at the path, so a pro might be easier than DIY.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Hootsmon View Post
    Hmm,

I'd need to get a pro in for the pavers i think. I was keen for deck as I could have a crack at that myself.
    If you can deck you can pave IMO, granted decking is more fun
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.