Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Any spray guru's out there?

Hi,
    Just having got myself a compressor I was wanting to get a spray gun but am a bit confused getting different opinions from different places. My compressor is a 3hp 3 cylinder pump, belt drive, 50 ltr tank and displaces 15.2 cfm @115 psi.

My question is can I use a HVLP spray gun for this compressor? One place I went to advised that a LVLP gun might be the way to go and that to use a HVLP you would need around 40 or 50 cfm????

Any recommendations based on the compressor?

I'm interested in spraying Shellac, NC lacquer etc...

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks

Guru.... I don't think so... but my 2p worth says that you need a standard suction gun that will be spec'd to use about 10cfm. With the standard setup, this will handle anything from highly viscous product through regular, thinned enamel and acrylic paint. I use a Devilbiss JGA and I also have a Star (can't remember the number - 770 maybe). 3 cyl/3HP - fine machine!

Hi Brett, I have similar spec'ed compressor and spray laquer and shellac using a HVLP spray gun without a problem. Actually it works a treat.

The main issue here is the size of the items your spraying. You wouldnt have a problem spraying anything smaller than a large coffee table but on anything bigger you'll have to wait for the compresser to catchup.

So if 95% of your pieces are relativley small and your going to throw in a few larger items on occasion I'd say you'd be fine.

Hope this helps.

joez71

Hi,
    I'm no guru either, but I have done a bit of spray painting (mainly cars).

I previously used a high pressure high volume spray gun with a fairly small compressor and found it difficult to use (frequently had to wait for the compressor to catch up).

I have more recently switched to HVLP and find it excellent. The same compressor has not trouble keeping up and the HVLP generates less overspray.

Now my compressor is a 2.5HP that would probably run at 10 cfm, so I would think that your compressor wouldn't have any problems.

Go for the HVLP ....
    Cheers.

Vernon.

You blokes are quick

Thanks for replies, I've heard that the Starr 770 is pretty much a good 'standard' but you've put my mind to rest - got pretty confused when one 'salesman' advised that I'd need around 40 - 50 cfm. Will probably be mainly spraying things on the smaller side but am keen to try it on a redgum dining table so might have to watch it there - will obviously get some practice on scrap or a few smaller pieces first to try to get the basics of the technique down.

Having said that does anyone know of any good books / DVD's on furniture spraying???

Anyway thanks for replies.

Do a search on the forum and all will be revealed and keep you out of trouble for a while reading it.

I use a 15cfm twin cylinder single phase, 15 amp, compressor and have a Porter Cable HVLP spray gun from Carbatec. Have sprayed all the cabinet doors in our house, as well as dining tables, outdoor setting etc.

Have never run out of puff, even on floor to ceiling wardrobe doors. Can thoroughly recommend the Porter Cable HVLP gun, it is excellent value for money.

Oh forgot, also sprayed the complete outside of the 48X25X10 shed with Solver Duraguard, wiht extremely little overspray. The saving of spraying over Colorbond more than paid for the gun! After 6 years the shed looks as good as new (unlike me! )

Thanks & Big Shed - yes I should have been a good boy and done some forum searching but surely you can set me straight tho . I've already done some searching on spray techniques which was useful -will keep trying.

Big shed sounds like you got yourself a good spray gun there (and you're in my old stomping ground B'go). Will give that one a looksie.

Cheers

Edit - Just tried Cabatec web page and rang the one here but they don't have HVLP's - will try searching further for the Portacable one - Big Shed - do you know what model you have???

Guys,

Is this the sort of gun that would work ok?

http://www.mikestools.com/Psh1-Porte...Spray-Gun.aspx

If so, anyone where to get in Oz, Carbatec don't appear to be stocking Porter-Cable ones and I would like to go with this based on recommendation from users on this BB rather than 'salespersons'.

Also would I be better off with a gun with a regulator or is this uneccessary??

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettC View Post
    Guys,

Is this the sort of gun that would work ok?

http://www.mikestools.com/Psh1-Porte...Spray-Gun.aspx

If so, anyone where to get in Oz, Carbatec don't appear to be stocking Porter-Cable ones and I would like to go with this based on recommendation from users on this BB rather than 'salespersons'.

Also would I be better off with a gun with a regulator or is this uneccessary??

Cheers.
    Yep, that is the gun I bought from Carbatec, they don't have it in their latest cattledog.
    The PSH1 has its' own regulator, you tend to spary around the 30-40psi range.
    I made up a little stand for it as it tends to be hard to hold and fill at the same time, stand also takes filters. It is also handy when you want to put the gun down during spraying. Let me know if you want a picture.

Amazon also sells these guns, they also have the manual for download. They also stock the PSH2 and PSH3, but I don't know what the differences are.

Cheers

Fred

Forgot to tell you that Super Cheap Auto also had a HVLP gun at the time, but it was about $60 dearer and looked inferior.

Just had another look at Amazon and they sell the accessory nozzle kit for the HSP1 as well, I would get that as it handles the higher solids type coatings ie it is a larger nozzle. (could have used that to spray the shed!)

The quality of the Porter Cable gun is excellent and it is very easy to adjust. I have a confentional ArnoldDeVilbiss and a conventional Iwata gun as well and they can't hold a candle to the PSH1 in performance and quality.

And no, I don't own shares in Porter Cable

The guys have given you the right info but you may want to get a bit more info to help you make a decision on your purchase.

Most of the top quality guns are rearely seen in normal outlets they are sold through the trade by industries closer to the spray painting industry.

Brands such as Devilbis, Iwata, Sata, Optima Binks Bullows and Samson are what is generally used in industry but there are other. Like cars they are a personal preference thing. But you only get what you pay for, a top spray painter would normally use a gun in the $300 to $1000 price range. THe Star I would put down as a Hyundu where the Optima is probably a Mercedes.

A spray gun manufacturer makes guns for many types of paint.

Usually the gun body is of a basic design, the manufacturer then makes several versions to suit a wide range of users and paint types.

To buy a gun successfully you need two bits of information

The size of your compressor in CFM.

The type of paint you intend to use.

If you have a small compressor you buy a 8 CFM version if you have the capacity for a larger one get it. A small capacity gun sprays a fan about 90mm wide a 15 CFM one about 300mm. Just like brushing with a 1" brush instead of a 4" one. But you can keep spraying as the compressor can keep up.

From the manufacturers chart you can pick the most suitable gun. If the peramiters are out of the range you may have to consider other options (such as a larger compressor). In you case what you intend to do is in the normal use of guns used in the trades for small work ( furniture , cars small trucks)

A 15 CFM compressor will easily handle a reasonable sized gun. A 40 -50 CFM gun would be one used to paint a large ocean liner or an aircraft carrier.

HVLP guns are designed to cut back on pollution, some of the early and cheap versions were altered normal spray guns. A Vernonv says you get less overspray you also use less paint. I wouldn't use an unknow brand unless I had seen a actual job it had done.

If you are going to use lacquer or shellac mostly, ask for a gun with a lacquer set up on it. One for enamel will spray poorly in comparison as the nozzle is way too small for the amount of air coming out of the gun making it spray dry and peely. Most HVLP guns are gravity feed ( pot on top)

Big Shed! the gun for a high solids paint actually has a smaller sized nozzle than a lacquer gun which is low solid paint. Sounds crazy but the new high solids paints now being introduced here talk about spraying 1/2 coat of paint not one or two. What they actually mean is that the actual paint has less solvent and one coat leaves on the surface a thicker coat of paint. If you have a bigger nozzle it runs everywhere as its so high a build.

Brett! Go to a few smash repairs shops and check out the guns they are using, you should be able to see how well they preform as painters spray with the intention of having it come off the gun as a mirror finish wthout any extra work such as cutting and polishing. They an also tell you where to get a good gun in your area.

Big shed / Durwood,

Thanks guys for the advice, exactly the sort of info that I was after. Looks like Amazon don't ship this spraygun to Oz though!

Happy for anyone else to add their thoughts.

Cheers.