Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Does a stove top need a rangehood

I have a small kitchen and want to make and install some wall cabinets. I would like to run them along the wall that has the oven in it but would rather not have a rangehood above the stove top as I find them too noisy and tend not to use them. Can I install cupboards above the stove top without a rangehood or will the heat and moisture be too damaging to the base of the cupboard, made from melamine covered HMR particleboard?

Personal opinion here - skip the range hood. We had a beauty put in when we reno'd the kitchen and only use it for the light! And only sometimes at that. I too find them noisy and distracting. Likes me cooking and dislikes the noise while I am doing what I like doing.

However, the legal distance between top of stove and bottom of overhead cupboards is 650mm - for fire safety sake as much as anything. I reckon you can get a bottom on your cupbaords (eg glass, stainless steel, that is not flammable) and will help you keep the bottom clean, cos you will get a bit of steamy oily build up over time.
    So save yourself a few quid on the rangehood and just do cupboards - wish we had!

Good luck with it all.
    Jeff
    Life is just a leap of faith
    Spread your arms and hold your breath
    And always trust your cape

I would definitely use one as the hood diverts the steam and catches the grease.

If you don't use one you will find that grease will collect underneath your wall cabinets.:eek:

Maybe this is a good thing. If you have too much grease at least it will act as a waterproofing agent that the steam wont penetrate.

Had nothing above our cooktop for about 3 years.(Since sold the house) Didnt have any problems other then occasional cleaning.

Cheers
    Purse