Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Best way to stain

I'm working on turning some of the Studley flooring (brush box I think) into a blanket box. I'd like to stain the timber, more of a dark cedar colour.

Been experimenting with a few different stains/techniques etc, and really not happy with any of the results.

What do the august members of the forum think is the best way to stain hardwood?

Planning to finish with Ubeaut hard shellac and wax.

Tex

Preferably, don't!

What factor is it that you're not happy with? colour or consistency? Also, what sort of stains have you been experimenting with (I assume on some scrap pieces :eek

If you must, then try some oil-based dyes (eg Feast Watson) in very small quantities mixed with Danish Oil.

I agree with Steve on this one. If you want a darker colour, why not use a darker timber?
    Please, let the timber speak for itself!! If you want a slightly darker tone, try F&W Scandinavian Oil. Sand to 600g, 2 coats and then 800-1000g.

Regards

Rob

I recently played a bit with using Sodium Carbonate to change the colour of timber. I found that it enhances the grain pattern, and quite liked the effect. From what I have read it seems that timber coming from different trees may have a varied response to the treatment. I have not tried that, but would recommend caution.

Another "traditional" method of getting darker colour is fuming with ammonia. I have not tried that, and do not know how Australian timbers would respond to the treatment.

Well, at least I haven't gotten a reddie yet for suggesting a stain.

Steve, I've been playing with some scrap pieces, and there are two reasons why I'm thinking about stain. One is that it is a very light color, and the people we are giving it to tend to have darker furniture. The other is that in some test finishes, the BB (which I assume is brush box) shows some dark spots, tiny specks really. There tend to be a lot of them, and it gives the timber a freckled look. The freckles aren't on every piece, and since I'm gluing up panels, I'm afraid the panel will have a freckled stripe. I'll try and get a pic tonight to post. This is exaggerated when I use stain on sanded timber, so I've tried a Feast Watson sanding sealer followed by a Feast Watson cedar stain, and the spots disappear but my technique is probably not good as the color is still a bit inconsistent. I have been wiping the stain on with a rag, and wiping off after a couple of minutes.

I'll try mixing some stain with Danish Oil, didn't think of that. Good idea.

And I'm using the lighter wood because it was in the Studley/E Mac pack and a great value.

Also doing a box from spotted gum, which is finishing beautifully if I can avoid tearout.

Tex

Javali, that looks like the same timber I'm using. Really like the sodium carbonate colour. Has the colour changed in the last few weeks? Tried a finish on it? How do you get sodium carbonate?

Tex

I see you used the Lectic Washing Soda to get the mix. Although everyone says its freely available, I've never seen it for sale in Woolies etc in Sydney.

Is there another option?
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Here are some pics.

Pic 1 is a sample of the natural colour. This piece is a little darker than most.

Pic 2 is the same piece after one coat of Danish Oil. The oil is still wet. Next to it is another piece with one coat of Danish Oil, which is a lighter piece. (ignore the remains of the grooves, it's a scrap piece)

Pic 3 shows the spots. The right side is one coat of Feast Watson sanding sealer (wait 24 hrs, sand) one coat of Feast Watson Prooftint (wait 24 hrs, sand), several coats of UBeaut hard shellac, wiped on (wait 24 hrs), 4 coats of traditional wax. The left side is the same except no sanding sealer.

Without the sanding sealer, the spots are really highlighted, which is not what I'm after. However, with the sanding sealer, the stain came off with the first coat of wax. Also not what I'm after.

Pic 4 is another piece with identical sealer, stain, shellac, wax. Just shows that the spots are not consistent between boards, and the stain comes off again with the first coat of wax.

So, out of the nearly infinite combinations of sealers, stains, finishes, have I just managed to pick the worst one?

Thanks,

Tex

Quote Originally Posted by Tex B View Post
    Javali, that looks like the same timber I'm using. Really like the sodium carbonate colour. Has the colour changed in the last few weeks? Tried a finish on it? How do you get sodium carbonate?
    Tex, the colour remained the same. I later finished it with a thin coat of BLO, 6 coats of orange shellac, and EEE. Came up smooth and shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgy View Post
    I see you used the Lectic Washing Soda to get the mix. Although everyone says its freely available, I've never seen it for sale in Woolies etc in Sydney.

Is there another option?
    I used to buy it at the local Bi-Lo. It is now being reopened as Coles. I hope they continue to stock it. If not I will try these.