Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default And another marking/Cutting gauge

Apologies to those not into gauges, but here is another I have been working on over the last 2 weeks.

It's a standard cutting gauge that can be finely adjusted using the knob on the end of the gauge. I think it is sort of self explanatory from the photos. There's a fair bit of brass in it especially hidden inside the head so it feels kinda weighty.

It was very tricky aligning everything especially all the bits that slide over each other and getting all the concentric bits to be so. My usual method of using my DP as a metal turning lathe to turn the brass bits were not precise enough for this tool and had to resort to the serious metal working lathe at work so I decided to turn up a bunch of kurled knobs while I was at it.

As it is, it is still a bit tight and I need to apply some judicious light sanding and wax to loosen it up a little. Another thing I need to do is recess the HMWPE bearing at the front end of the gauge so that I can mark a narrower line.

Happy to provide details of internals if anyone is interested.

Cliff - I hope your find the screw head alignment better than the last one.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    ...My usual method of using my DP as a metal turning lathe to turn the brass bits were not precise enough for this tool and had to resort to the serious metal working lathe at work so I decided to turn up a bunch of kurled knobs while I was at it.
    CHEAT, CHEAT, CHEAT!!!!!!

I mean to say, using a real lathe to turn up stuff for a gauge! :eek:
    It's just, I don't have a lathe or access to one or have any knowledge on how to use one & I'm just jealous

The gauge looks very slick.
    Cheers

Major Panic

Nice job Bob!! Classy looking gauge

Great work. I would be proud to have something as beautiful as that on my bench. And made in 2 weeks - I might have worked out the first version of the design in that timeframe.

W.Lill,
    Well, I will admit to having some practice, I made these two last month. And this one two weeks ago. If you look closely you will notice a certain "house style" across all 4 gauges.

MajorP,
    I not only admit to using a metal working lathe but being inspired by the gauges on your website - so call me a "double cheat" if you like.

My wife is thoroughly confused. One gauge she can understand, two she can cope with, 3 left her bewildered but 4, she can't really cope!!! "Don't worry" I said, "I only want to make one more and that should keep me happy for a while"!